Chapala.com Webboard

Temporary Worker program needed for the USA

geeser

It's difficult to generalize. In agriculture, things like cut flowers and wine grapes require labor intensive skills. Driving a AC cooled, GPS calibrated harvester, with 60 foot booms, because the field is perfectly flat, generating 1,000's of dollars per hour - that is a whole different thing, . Specialty construction still has some very high paid jobs. Most of them are Union, and there are very few brown faces or women. These jobs still involve long hours, danger, hard work, and highly evolved skills - but the biggest challenge is getting these workers to stay on past 55 years.

And just for Steve - this patriot makes a powerful case that compassion is the core of the U.S. Constitution.

http://thetightwireguy.com/2012/01/31/why-i-believe-the-us-constitution-is-fundamentally-motivated-by-compassion/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chillin: Compassion is fine and as I noted, it would be tough to find another country more compassionate than the US. But - you have to do it with some semblance of forethought, some direction, planning, legalization and what the end result is going to be when weighted against the people expected to support and finance it and I don't see any of that now and from some of the current political rally's I don't think I'm the only guy.

Found our guest workers:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/14/federal-data-u-s-annually-admits-quarter-of-a-million-muslim-migrants/

I read some of the link your referenced and while an interesting life I didn't see anything that caused me to rush to his opinion. I did see what was apparently a wandering somewhat aimless life of many jobs which is fine, but didn't sell me on his creds as knowing much about compassion and the Constitution. Far too many people, all the way to (and maybe especially) the SCOTUS see the document as plastic, flexible and of course written some time ago, but it has rock solid hard truths that have carried this country to the top of the list of countries in the world and I might add one that a huge number of people want to come to - so it can't be that bad. But twisting the Constitution and finding hidden meanings in Amendments is BS and is going to kill us.

I have only one problem with the Constitution and the concept of "compassion": Where was the "compassion" for slaves, non land owning persons and.....finally, for women? NONE. Especially true for slaves. Oh, it sounds lovely and touches the heart a bit when it's read with a fine voice, but the truth is that it was written by, and for, former English aristocrats. A very well educated and wealthy bunch who were pissed off at the English for collecting taxes. Otherwise, we'd be singing "God Save the Queen".

Why isn't anyone willing to just take the U.S.A. as it was and is, warts and all: being the world's major arms supplier; failing our veterans, but having generally high stated principles and occasionally doing some good deeds. It's a perfectly normal country, currently engaged in a war of ideas which are diametrically opposed. It's a religious and cultural war. Most of the laws are the result of lobbying. We have our own "Taliban" knocking themselves out to impose their beliefs on others. "Live and let live" isn't happening; actually never has. It just is what it is. Needs work!!

Immigration policy is a mess, so let us hope that people with foresight, oriented toward solutions rather than rhetoric, do the work needed.

Only one problem? - ha, forgive me. But many, if not most, of those things have been corrected in our process and assimilated into our culture. As to your question why? - I'd direct you to notice there is a huge movement on both sides to change many things that have got us to this point. People have had it and there is going to be a big change no matter what.

The US has been a religious and cultural war for 2 decades now. As far as the Taliban, you and I had that discussion years ago and it's no less true now than then, but then again, maybe my memory is better.

At least we agree somewhat on immigration. However this ties back to the previous note, we've devolved into a central gov ruling class who are completely disconnected from the voting pubic and making decisions as you note by lobbyists etc. I've often advocated shutting down DC and returning power to the States where it originated and where the Constitution says it resides - except no one in DC apparently ever read the document.

I have only one problem with the Constitution and the concept of "compassion": Where was the "compassion" for slaves, non land owning persons and.....finally, for women? NONE. Especially true for slaves. Oh, it sounds lovely and touches the heart a bit when it's read with a fine voice, but the truth is that it was written by, and for, former English aristocrats. A very well educated and wealthy bunch who were pissed off at the English for collecting taxes. Otherwise, we'd be singing "God Save the Queen".

Why isn't anyone willing to just take the U.S.A. as it was and is, warts and all: being the world's major arms supplier; failing our veterans, but having generally high stated principles and occasionally doing some good deeds. It's a perfectly normal country, currently engaged in a war of ideas which are diametrically opposed. It's a religious and cultural war. Most of the laws are the result of lobbying. We have our own "Taliban" knocking themselves out to impose their beliefs on others. "Live and let live" isn't happening; actually never has. It just is what it is. Needs work!!

Immigration policy is a mess, so let us hope that people with foresight, oriented toward solutions rather than rhetoric, do the work needed.

A very good summary of the gist of this discussion, but probably wasted on giltner.

This big movement he refers to is propaganda driven by the money that can afford to drive it, and the use of modern media........ the gullible lap it up.

There comes a point when some cannot stretch their mental capabilities any higher to comprehend or visualize and efforts to educate them are wasted.

Only one problem? - ha, forgive me. But many, if not most, of those things have been corrected in our process and assimilated into our culture. As to your question why? - I'd direct you to notice there is a huge movement on both sides to change many things that have got us to this point. People have had it and there is going to be a big change no matter what.

The US has been a religious and cultural war for 2 decades now. As far as the Taliban, you and I had that discussion years ago and it's no less true now than then, but then again, maybe my memory is better.

At least we agree somewhat on immigration. However this ties back to the previous note, we've devolved into a central gov ruling class who are completely disconnected from the voting pubic and making decisions as you note by lobbyists etc. I've often advocated shutting down DC and returning power to the States where it originated and where the Constitution says it resides - except no one in DC apparently ever read the document.

"We will win" was what you said, some years ago. If "'we" are fighting a war, there will be winners and losers as well as collateral damage. There are very vocal, well organized, even fanatical groups trying their best to destroy the wall between church and state enshrined in the Constitution. And that's all I have to say on the subject, and let's hope you do the same.

The DC folks know about States Rights, I'm sure. I recall a bloody Civil War over the matter. Didn't the Union types win that one?

Meanwhile, we can agree on some matters, and that's what these forums are all about.

A very good summary of the gist of this discussion, but probably wasted on giltner.

This big movement he refers to is propaganda driven by the money that can afford to drive it, and the use of modern media........ the gullible lap it up.

There comes a point when some cannot stretch their mental capabilities any higher to comprehend or visualize and efforts to educate them are wasted.

Part of that big movement is based on "belief", and there is no way around that one. That County clerk who won't issue some marriage licenses is a prime example. She won't quit her job and she won't back down, either. Lots of others out there are similar. You're right that it's a waste of time to argue. I'm done here anyway. Viva Mexico! Warts and all.

As it is written, so let it be done - maybe?

Before you write off Kim Davis, you might consider the following

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/09/stop_saying_samesex_marriage_is_the_law_of_the_land.html

What you're seeing is a part of the pushback driven by the 10th amendment. This will play out over the next years all the way to the top I'm sure, DC won't give up power easily, we'll have to wrench it from them piece by piece. Right now there is a petition drive to put a secession measure on the TX ballot.

People who have never read the Constitution or simply believe it's not relevant or can be changed may be in for a big surprise when they smack into an unforeseen wall of opposition.

Perhaps we are now again deeply into U.S. politics, which was tangentially connected to Mexico but has diverged from the topic and IMO, we should take our bows and leave the stage to those interested in MEXICO! It's up to the mod, as usual, to let this thread go on.....on not.

I am not at all interested in Texas secession, so adios.

Anyone who has read your blog, Giltner, knows where you stand and can read all about it there. In fact, they can join in with your news and views.

Part of that big movement is based on "belief", and there is no way around that one. That County clerk who won't issue some marriage licenses is a prime example. She won't quit her job and she won't back down, either. Lots of others out there are similar. You're right that it's a waste of time to argue. I'm done here anyway. Viva Mexico! Warts and all.

Yep,it's a waste of time arguing with wingnuts.

Viva Mexico,Cabrones!!

:)

A young man who shows up to work in several hundred dollars worth of clothing and

Same answer, a lot of potential labor is holed up in the cities because that's where the benefits are. I live in a rural area of TX, I doubt any "city" within 30 miles of me pays any kind of welfare per se, assistance maybe and TX sends out Fed food stamps like they're confetti. But in the real world, the potential labor isn't close to jobs like that.

However, I will cite an example which happened in Austin probably in the late 90's. At that time the INS used to do raids and haul people to the border. So, they swept into Austin restaurants and picked up a sizable number of folks, maybe 200 from kitchens etc. and hauled them south. Now, on the E side of Austin there is a sizable community of welfare beneficiaries, I happen to know because in those days I got involved in hiring for our production unit. So, in central Austin we had 200 jobs open - how many came, not miles, hardly blocks to apply for these jobs? - I'm sure you know the answer.

On another occasion we hired the son of a lady who worked for us and he showed up in $100 shoes, a Tommy Hilfinger shirt and lasted about 2 days before saying he couldn't afford to work for us and besides we expected him to be there on time and work 8 hours. He was well trained by the system NOT to seek work period.

So, a part of me can almost understand why - but another takes me back to my upbringing.

A young man who who shows up in several hundred dollars worth of clothing and doesn't want to do a real day's work has not been trained by the system, he has been trained by his parents. Parents who find it easier to let junior play video games all day than come up with discipline which teaches him to be a responsible, useful human being. Years ago when there was a Walmart slated for farmland in my Canadian town and there were huge protests, there were a flurry of letters to the editor of the local paper stating how we really needed Walmart because there just weren't any jobs in our community for young people. Well, my kids and all the other young people I knew were working. Maybe because me and my friends didn't hand our kids money and expensive toys and actually expected them to pull their weight. And didn't fall for the self-esteem movement's "everything you do is just great, you made a good effort" BS.

I heard a psychiatrist on the radio whose field of expertise was teenage suicide, which has skyrocketed. He blamed in large part the self-esteem movement, saying that these kids are growing up totally unprepared for failure, with no coping skills for being told "sorry, that's just not good enough". Of course children should be loved and encouraged and never humiliated, but letting them know when they have not done a good job and need to do it again better or in some other way is important training for life.

All parents these days do not let their kids do whatever they want. My daughter's kids are seriously limited in their "screen time", only being allowed a couple hours a day, then the ipods and iphones have to be put in a drawer in the kitchen. She and her husband also talk to them about "expectations", as in "these are our expectations today as far as what chores you need to get done and how your behavior needs to change". But I see too many parents who want to be their kids' friends, instead of doing the hard work of parents.

Sorry, I know this post strays a little off-topic, but it addresses what people are saying about Americans not being willing to do the jobs that the immigrants will do.

Archived