Chapala.com Webboard

Temporary Worker program needed for the USA

geeser

Ontario has a good temporary worker program. If the farmer or rancher needs temp workers he can sign up with the Provincial government. Depending on the type of work you want them for you may have to ask for a finding that the able bodied Canadians will not or can not do the work. This keeps employers from just going for the cheap labor. The employer pays the charter flight and a wage regulated by the government and provides board and housing. The work conditions and housing are inspected by government inspectors.

The wages are paid to a bank in Mexico, not handed to the worker in Ontario, encouraging them to return home. The employer pays their health and workers insurance. The return charter flight paid by employer returns him to Mexico. If Jose was a great worker and you have trained him to your task you can request him next year from the government's contractor.Think how many problems this would solve if the USA had such a worker program. This program may have changed a little since I was familiar with it, but it was workable to get those tomatos and lettuce harvested.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when will people "get it"? the $ is the bottom line. corps rule. they give donations to politicans. good for canada, sounds like a plan. i wonder how much this is enforced?

Total BS in both Canada and the US. It should read, "for a finding that the able bodied Canadians will not or can not do the work at the offered wage rate."

Exactly right. By importing a surplus of labor to keep the corporatists who buy and own these governments happy, the pay and working conditions for these jobs are depressed to second or third world conditions.

What needs to happen is that governments start putting their citizens first and stop importing a surplus of labor that depresses wages and working conditions.

the pay and working conditions for these jobs are depressed to second or third world conditions.

You are very wrong, in the case of Canada and also in the meaningless use of second/third world labels. In the rich farmlands of Southern British Columbia, most of the active farmland is owned by Chinese (Southern) and India (Punjabi) farmers. For quite some time, these areas of China and India have become so wealthy from agriculture, especially secondary processing, that the locals will not work for the wages paid for field work, and they have to import, house and feed, from far away. This is the same in B.C. - relatives, workers would be sponsored from their home countries but this has dried up now. Canada encourages farm workers because there is a identifiable demand for their skills - they do not need, on the other hand, Engineers, Architects, Dentists, Vets and Pharmacists. So the Mexican temporary workers are fitting very comfortably into this vacuum. The governments and farm owner make especially sure the workers understand and abide with all health and safety requirements. Interestingly, the big chain supermarkets have their own health/safety requirements and inspections which actually surpass the government standards.

This is what has to be happen in Mexico - secondary processing. Drying, sauces, frozen foods, snack foods - all of which create jobs.

What needs to happen is that governments start putting their citizens first and stop importing a surplus of labor that depresses wages and working conditions.

It will never happen the American, black or white won't work in these jobs because it's to hard of work for them. Most are not use to manual labor, in GA for example they have a lot of milk and chicken farmers in and around Athens (home of the bull dogs) area and farmers can't get an american to work, it's kinda like in Mexico. Would you rather work manual labor for $50 pesos per day or earn $1000 pesos per day watching out for the police and calling into your boss as to where they are at.

...milk and chicken farmers in and around Athens (home of the bull dogs) area and farmers can't get an american to work...

Again, not at the wage offered which many times is less than the minimum. The illegals will work for what they can get and won't complain about unlawful working conditions.

It will never happen the American, black or white won't work in these jobs because it's to hard of work for them. Most are not use to manual labor, in GA for example they have a lot of milk and chicken farmers in and around Athens (home of the bull dogs) area and farmers can't get an american to work, it's kinda like in Mexico. Would you rather work manual labor for $50 pesos per day or earn $1000 pesos per day watching out for the police and calling into your boss as to where they are at.

They get much less than $1000 pesos per day as "halcones" [hawks]. One muderer for a cartel said he got paid $6,000 pesos per week to kill people they wanted dead. He is serving time for 3 murders but they suspect him in 3 more in TJ.

Again, not at the wage offered which many times is less than the minimum. The illegals will work for what they can get and won't complain about unlawful working conditions.

I know two families working on a milk farm and they both are being paid $400 per week plus two days off. Furnished with a place to live, (one lives in a very nice house) phone, electic and cable bills paid. They also receive a pig, cow and chickens from the owner one time a year, this to me is not minimum wage, don't you think? I can't speak for other parts of the country, but GA farmers seem to take care of a good employee.

They can't get an American to work for sweatshop wages and working conditions. That is true.

Funny, Americans had no trouble doing the work before the government flooded the country with immigrants and created such a surplus of labor that working class wages are falling and percentage wise, there are as few people in the work force as 40 years ago.

I did some of that work myself as a young man. Didn't kill me and enabled me to rise through the labor force by leveraging work skills and education. How are American children going to have this experience when they can't even get hired?

For a long time, the U.S. government has given big business and the greedy rich what they want, cheap compliant labor, using immigration. The result now is there for everyone to see--rising poverty and real joblessness and a decaying social fabric.

Forget about the partisan labels, they are meaningless. The ruling class takes care of the fat cats and the billionaires while they destroy the very notion of decent work that pays a living wage. It has even reached the point where we read of these predatory corporations laying off skilled and educated Americans only to give their jobs to still more immigrants imported for this purpose using H1B visas.

America is being driven down from the first world to the second by runaway immigration which is a very big reason the rich are getting richer and everyone else is getting poorer.

Why would any American support this?

I think there's a huge misconception and that's that these folks are farm hands working in fields harvesting crops etc. which from what I know is what the Canadian program serves. However you'd find very large numbers working in construction, meat packing etc. jobs far beyond the farm fields and so it's not seasonal. When I go to Harbor Freight Tools here in Austin I feel much like I did in Guad when shopping there, in other words, a high percentage of Mexicans and they aren't buying farm tools. So, while a temp program is a good idea I think the horse is already out of the barn on this one.

I built my last house in '85 and told my wife then that one of us needed to learn Spanish before we built another, so it's nothing new.

I'm not aware of many farms in Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Chicago, L.A.,etc. , but there is lots of construction, and lots of illegals. Construction can pay big money, or not, if you are willing to take it in cash.

Do Syrians do farm work?

I'm sure that some do.

You guys are something else.

Good luck trying to find Americans willing to do back breaking work harvesting crops,work at Tyson chicken factories,washing dishes in restaurants,landscaping etc.etc.

Half of the cooks in fancy Manhattan restaurants are from Puebla.

Thirty+years working construction taught me that Mexican workers have very good work ethics.

Face the facts,there are a lot of jobs Americans simply aren't willing to do.

Giltner 68, te ves mas bonito calladito.

te ves mas bonito calladito.

I think that fits you better, cb, than it fits him. Your most enjoyable posts have been those with no words in them. Just sayin'. :)

You are very wrong, in the case of Canada and also in the meaningless use of second/third world labels. In the rich farmlands of Southern British Columbia, most of the active farmland is owned by Chinese (Southern) and India (Punjabi) farmers. For quite some time, these areas of China and India have become so wealthy from agriculture, especially secondary processing, that the locals will not work for the wages paid for field work, and they have to import, house and feed, from far away. This is the same in B.C. - relatives, workers would be sponsored from their home countries but this has dried up now. Canada encourages farm workers because there is a identifiable demand for their skills - they do not need, on the other hand, Engineers, Architects, Dentists, Vets and Pharmacists. So the Mexican temporary workers are fitting very comfortably into this vacuum. The governments and farm owner make especially sure the workers understand and abide with all health and safety requirements. Interestingly, the big chain supermarkets have their own health/safety requirements and inspections which actually surpass the government standards.

This is what has to be happen in Mexico - secondary processing. Drying, sauces, frozen foods, snack foods - all of which create jobs.

Well I wasn't addressing Canada as is pretty clear from my post. I'm not Canadian and wouldn't presume to comment on their immigration policies and issues.

Archived