Chapala.com Webboard

Pool Cleaner

catbird

Only person we ever fired was Carlos. Replaced him with Chino and never had another problem with black algae. Chino speaks only Spanish. Sorry don't have contact info for him anymore as in a home with no pool now.

Interesting. I've had problems with black algae for 5 years. I asked Carlos about it once and he was of no help. Do you know how Chino solved the black algae problem?

I had a problem with Black Algae It was solved when I stopped allowing the pool guys to bring in their own equipment. I burned the Algea out with very high concentration of Chlorine which I kept high for about a week . Black Algea can be brought into your pool from other pools on their pool skimmers etc.

The pool guys like using those bag like skimmers which I am sure they do not clean between pools.

It can even come in on peoples bathing suits. There is a lot of info on it via google.

Okay. Mine is salt also.

I've always cleaned my own pool. I think the black algae arrived when a neighbour's dog jumped in my pool after swimming in the lake. This season I'm trying granulated chlorine in the infected areas which seems to help.

To properly maintain a pool, it is absolutely necessary to have a good pool test kit. One of the best is the Taylor K-2006. I have not been able to find this in our area. I ordered mine from the U.S.

There are NO pool 'boys' that test the pool water adequately or properly in AJIJIC, including Carlos. My pool guy does so only because I taught him.

One must test the pool water twice (minimum) weekly for: Total chlorine, Combined chlorine, Free chlorine ( this is what kills the bacteria and algae) and for Ph., and Alkalinity. Monthly you should test Calcium Hardness (CH) level and the CYA (cyanuric acid) level. Too much CH and you get the white ring, too little and the grout leaches and pulls from the tiles. CYA helps keep the sun from depleating the chlorine, it is in chlorine tabs. It builds up in the pool water and over time causes the chlorine to be less effective to the point that you will need to drain water from the pool.

A good web site is: troublefreepool.com.

Archived