Chapala.com Webboard

Border "shopping" question

giltner68

Ok, I've not been following the current border customs status so I apologize if this is current knowledge and I'm just out of the loop for a year.

I need to make a border run to Acuna to buy some inhalers, my supply is running low. Can I just drive across like we have in the past and shop and return? - or, is there now a requirement for FMM etc? I'll carry my passport of course, but any of the new regs apply to a "day shopper"?

Of course I turned in my TIP when I left last year, so?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I made the run down to Del Rio/Acuna last Weds and no problems. I just drove across and did my shopping, didn't spend much time and then back across to TX. Acuna is a nice clean quiet town, not a single tope where I was, I love the place. Crossing back was slow, they seemed to be looking for something or someone, but it wasn't me. The inhalers I needed were dramatically cheaper there than in the US.

It's 220 miles down there and the US border guard asked why I would drive that far, I laughed and said when I need cat food for Max I drive into Austin which is 55 miles, so 110 round trip just for cat food, that's just Texas.

Archived