Chapala.com Webboard

"Blue", the blind black & blue 7 month dog moaning the blues

I named him Blue for his blind blue eye and his sorrowful wail. He is only about 7 months old and was hobbling down my street on 3 legs screaming in pain, blood pouring down his right front leg which looked mangled. I got out of my truck and he came right to me looking for help. Every part of him that I touched as I tried to pick him up caused him to shriek with pain. I managed to get him to the Ladrones where he had an x-ray taken, and stayed the night. I had to go get him and bring him home the next day. His newest injury appeared to come from being hit by a car, but he has other injuries that appear to have come from being attacked, probably by a pack of dogs. At some point, his eye abscessed, and left untreated, he lost his sight. I can't imagine how painful that must have been. This dog's whole short life seems to have been about nothing but constant inflicted pain.

The first few days he was with me, he appeared to also be suffering from PTSD. His cries of pain, terror, and suffering emanated at any given moment, and in his sleep. The painkillers I was to give to him seemed to have little or no effect -- as his entire body was hurting. The skin on his leg was ripped off in several places. I've been cleaning them and bandaging them with an ointment and the main one has finally got new skin. He has finally stopped his sorrowful howling, and is calmer, but he is still fragile. He does get along with other dogs, and has not been aggressive with my two jealous tiny dogs. I have kept my cats in my mother's house because I don't know how he would be with them. He's so grateful and careful, he could most likely be taught to be fine with cats. But he needs a home with some room to roam, with someone with a lot of patience who will be soft and gentle and loving with him. He is a wonderful boy, but I don't believe he could emotionally handle being at a shelter, which are overflowing here anyways. And he still requires care for his wounds.

Please someone, with these special qualities, step forward and welcome this poor creature into your heart and home.

28lujok.png

2w71rhh.png

What an angel and such a sad story. My heart breaks but have a cat and large, young dog. (plus my husband would not go for it). Still I pray you will find someone to help care for this special dog.

Thank you LifeNo5 -- and I'm happy for your lucky cat and dog to have you. You are their angel. :)

Blue's injuries were much worse than originally thought. The vet and I agreed that his suffering was too terrible. It was extremely difficult for me to make the decision to have him put to sleep, but it was the only true merciful thing to do. I really fell in love with this poor boy. The vet came to my house yesterday and he was gently eased out of this world to go be with his fellow angels. God bless Blue Dog may he play without pain and have belly rubs forever. I miss him.

Sadly -

Poe, you are an amazing person, who took Blue in and tried to help him. He was blessed to have you in his life for the short time he was with you. It is a hard decision to make for anyone who has to put an animal to sleep, at least we can make that decision for them to end their pain and suffering. Thank you for caring.

There is a special Rainbow Bridge for dogs like Blue. I think you'll appreciate this.

http://members.petfinder.com/~AZ255/page3.html

MtnMama - jeez louise, could you make me cry any harder? ;) Seriously, though, at first I thought this was the regular Rainbow Bridge story until I read it, but then I realized, no, this is a special one. Thank you so much for sharing it with me so that I can share it with others. It is beautiful! :)

Poe, you are an amazing person, who took Blue in and tried to help him. He was blessed to have you in his life for the short time he was with you. It is a hard decision to make for anyone who has to put an animal to sleep, at least we can make that decision for them to end their pain and suffering. Thank you for caring.

Glynn, thank you.

Your story is making my heart so, so heavy. This poor dog suffered so much. But please take solace in knowing that in his final days, he knew he was loved. He became calm, and he felt much more safe. He was in far less pain. He found a savior in you, Poe, who did such wonderful things for him. You did the best you could to care for an innocent creature who did nothing wrong in this world to have had to suffer so much.

I've never been a believer in heaven, but when it comes to animals, there just has to be a special place for them because their souls are so pure. There are never any evil or selfish motives. Even animals that attack or are yapping and obnoxious don't do it out of malice, but because they are scared or were trained to be aggressive, none of which is their fault.

Blue's pics show such a beautiful dog, and my heart is a little cracked now, reading how you initially found him. His final moments, however, were of comfort, trust and love, and he is no longer in any pain or will ever be scared again.

Thank you and a big hug to you for being so caring to our innocent animals in need.

Archived