Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable Zapopan Contact - Static IP

kbiohio

I work full-time for a U.S. company from my home in Chapala. It is imperative that I have a static IP (IP address that never changes - and the remote server’s firewall will not block). I added this to my Telecable account in 5.5 years ago (there were some hiccups in the beginning, but the last five years have been pretty much smooth sailing). I use the Telecable modem as my primary internet service. It is wired directly to my CPU for my desktop computer. I also have wireless internet with TelMex. This is a secondary option for my work. When Telecable is out, I just move the network cable from Telecable to the TelMex modem and keep working (but it does require contacting someone in the home office to program the firewall with my dynamic IP for the day - not a long-term option).

I lost my static IP July 27th (even though I continue to be billed 600 pesos in addition to the monthly internet fee). My husband and I have taken time away from work to visit the Chapala and Riberas offices 12-15 times in the last five weeks, because there is no option to call (they will not answer), and no option to email (they are well aware that the link to email a manager on the website does not work, an employee told me that weeks ago).

After four weeks of living with Telecable’s dynamic IP address, I received a call from Marisol in the Riberas office on my cell. She announced that my static IP was reinstated - a slightly different IP address (and, no I would not have the 600 pesos removed from my August bill). After that phone call, I could no longer connect to the Telecable modem with my desktop computer at all...and still don’t at this moment. One follow-up visit to Riberas, I told Mirasol I still didn’t have an internet connection. She said I will send someone to your home (again). I asked for the order/ticket number. She seemed annoyed to have to add it to the computer, and asked my address and name (again). Hmmm… do you think anyone would have shown up if I didn’t request that she write the number? I know that the guys that show up are not able to help, but I am hoping one will finally score a Zapopan contact name/number.

The local crews (all installation guys - none know how to help with my special issue) have been to the house on four occasions. Each time I am home alone (trying to work) and a group of men parade all through the house. It has been annoying and uncomfortable to say the least. Every time they have come to the house, they tell me that this problem requires help from a special technician in the Zapopan office (or maybe the Ciudad Guzman office). This is something I knew on 7/27, when I first lost my static IP. All associates agree that it is necessary to have someone from Zapopan change the configuration in Telecable’s system... yet no one has helped make this happen. They say that they can not get support from anyone in the Zapopan office.

We have been told that there are no longer local managers. There are only regional managers, and no one seems to know when they will be in the local office. The regional sales manager was the first manager that I spoke with in the Chapala office (Fernando). He appeared to be the first person to completely understand my issue, and want to help. HA! He did nothing and left on vacation. My husband encountered the second regional manager (of installation) in the Riberas office (Javier). He also acted as though he was going to assist. He actually gave us his cell phone number. He has made several promises, but never followed through.

Needless to say… I am at wit’s end! Does anyone out there have a contact name/number in Zapopan? Or does someone know of another way to get a static IP without Telecable (TelMex requires a business account - and $1500p/month)?

Ideally, I would set up a time with a technician in Zapopan, and include the Sr VP of IT (computer administrator) in my U.S. office, for a video conference. I could let the two communicate (in English, or with my intermediate Spanish, I could translate)...and they could both view the screen on my computer should there be any reason to configure something on my end (but, I had no issues using the static IP on this computer prior to 7/27). I’m sure I’m living in fantasyland on this last part.

If anyone has a solid answer to change my situation...I will buy you dinner.

Gracias,

KBIOhio

There is no one here in TelMex or Telecable who can help. If you spend the extra money and get a static IP with TelMex, you will have direct support from Mexico City, and they know who to send when necessary. The office staff of both places are incompetent in this regard.

And to my knowledge, no one has ever attempted what you are asking. You might be able to talk Rod from LagunaNet into accepting a fee to travel with you, and he may even know someone in Zapopan who can help. He is the most knowledgeable about networks around here.

Well, here is a crazy idea perhaps you haven't thought of. Why not get a dedicated server in the US? I have a $30/month box in the US where I installed openvpn. I can tunnel all my traffic through it, and since it has a static address, there is joy. The provider I use is https://www.serverpronto.com/ Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Henry Laxen

There is no one here in TelMex or Telecable who can help. If you spend the extra money and get a static IP with TelMex, you will have direct support from Mexico City, and they know who to send when necessary. The office staff of both places are incompetent in this regard.

And to my knowledge, no one has ever attempted what you are asking. You might be able to talk Rod from LagunaNet into accepting a fee to travel with you, and he may even know someone in Zapopan who can help. He is the most knowledgeable about networks around here.

Thank you ComputerGuy. I appreciate the feedback and will take it in to consideration. And yes...I know all too well that 'there is no one here in TelMex or Telecable who can help'... what a bunch of clowns that promise the moon and deliver absolutely nothing time and time again (silly cultural issue that they can't just admit that they can not help... but I'm married to a Mexican husband that also can't tell clients 'no'...so I somehow 'get it'). As for no one ever attempting what I am asking... I did it with almost zero problems for more than 5 years. Crazy thing that it can all fall apart (well this is Mexico).

I may have to reach out to Rod.

Thanks again :)

KBIOhio

Well, here is a crazy idea perhaps you haven't thought of. Why not get a dedicated server in the US? I have a $30/month box in the US where I installed openvpn. I can tunnel all my traffic through it, and since it has a static address, there is joy. The provider I use is https://www.serverpronto.com/ Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Henry Laxen

Henry... I may love you ;) I will have my U.S. IT guys check this as a possibility.

Gracias!!!

Archived