Chapala.com Webboard

IUSACELL NEW OFFICE

• 1 month later...

Alejandro speaks perfect English. He signed me up and moved my number from TelCel to iusacell (now owned by AT&T)

in minutes. Much much better prepay plan than TelCel.

normally M-F 10-7 SA/SU 10-3

Telefone 108-1451 Cell 334 593-1519

Madero 435 (the main street in Chapala)

Do they have anything similar to the flood of obnoxious promotional messages that Tel Cel sends? That is the strangest marketing tool I've ever seen, If they don't, that alone would be a reason to change for me.

Do they have anything similar to the flood of obnoxious promotional messages that Tel Cel sends? That is the strangest marketing tool I've ever seen, If they don't, that alone would be a reason to change for me.

Texting *264 kills unwanted text ads.

To cancel TelCel TIPS (consejos): send NO to 2525. Follow instr.

To cancel CHAT: send BOR to 2525.

Pause PROFILE (perfil): PAU to 2525. This supposedly deletes your profile so that nothing can be sent.

Just went to the new IUSACELL office in Chapala this morning. Alejandro Batiz speaks English and was very helpful. $400 pesos a month for unlimited calling to US, Canada and Mexico. Pay two months in advance and that's it. They can transfer your Telcel number if you want or get a new number. AT&T is making a big move for new business.

Just went to the new IUSACELL office in Chapala this morning. Alejandro Batiz speaks English and was very helpful. $400 pesos a month for unlimited calling to US, Canada and Mexico. Pay two months in advance and that's it. They can transfer your Telcel number if you want or get a new number. AT&T is making a big move for new business.

Does this plan include data or is it just for phone calls?

A friend of mine told me he is signing up for a lUSACELL plan today for a year in advance that then gives him 14 free months, so 26 months total and it works out to about $100 a month. It offers 500 min to the US/Canada, 1000 min in Mexico and 2 GB of data. You don't have to worry about reloading your account for over 2 years. I spend about $100 a month just for Mexico cell minutes from Telcel and don't call the US or use data, which I wish I could, as it eats up my minutes so fast and I never seem to have adequate speed on it to download anyway, so I only used data from wifi. My friend says he gets fast download from his service which he has already, he's upgrading to this package today. Check it out with them at the store, I'm going to. I imagine there could be some skepticism about paying for service so far in advance, but since it's AT&T, maybe it's OK?

A friend of mine told me he is signing up for a lUSACELL plan today for a year in advance that then gives him 14 free months, so 26 months total and it works out to about $100 a month. It offers 500 min to the US/Canada, 1000 min in Mexico and 2 GB of data. You don't have to worry about reloading your account for over 2 years. I spend about $100 a month just for Mexico cell minutes from Telcel and don't call the US or use data, which I wish I could, as it eats up my minutes so fast and I never seem to have adequate speed on it to download anyway, so I only used data from wifi. My friend says he gets fast download from his service which he has already, he's upgrading to this package today. Check it out with them at the store, I'm going to. I imagine there could be some skepticism about paying for service so far in advance, but since it's AT&T, maybe it's OK?

I just spoke to the same person who gave me somewhat incorrect info yesterday...he blames it on "senioritis." He did sign up yesterday and said there were 3-4 different plans to choose from. He took the one that's unlimited to all their network cells including Nextel, AT&T, Unifon, and Lusacel, 300 min to other networks like Telcel and US/Canada calling, and 2 GB of data monthly. He paid $300/mo for 10 months ($3000 up front) and got "14 months free" so it works out to $125/mo for that package. For him that amount of monthly minutes is plenty and probably would cover most people's needs. Incoming calls are free. Since it's so much simpler than keeping track of when you have to "re-up" with Telcel every 1 or 2 months, I'm going to consider it. I've lost my gift minutes many times being out of the country and not thinking of doing it online. I also like the idea of a fixed cheap monthly rate that offers me more than I have now without having to keep track of the renewal date.

I went there myself today and this offer is a current promotion that so far has no termination date. I'm signing up.

of course we are includind data on your plan. $400 mxp per month and you get unlimited callinf in mexico, us or canada and 3 GB for your data.

Does your service work well for us living in Jocotepec?

Also, would your cell phone service work in the USA since it is affiliated with AT&T? If we take the phone with us when traveling back to the USA, could we use it to call Mexico from the USA? Would roaming charges apply? I'd be very interested to purchase service a year in advance. Please advise and thanks.

Does your service work well for us living in Jocotepec?

Also, would your cell phone service work in the USA since it is affiliated with AT&T? If we take the phone with us when traveling back to the USA, could we use it to call Mexico from the USA? Would roaming charges apply? I'd be very interested to purchase service a year in advance. Please advise and thanks.

According to the brochure, when in the US your Mexican number will work the same as here on the AT&T network as if you were still in Mexico. This means calls to US numbers would consume your minutes but calls back here to the included Mexican networks wouldn't use minutes and data works just like you're still here too. Incoming calls are free but it'd be long distance for your US callers to reach you on your Mexican number unless they have their own international plan. I use my phone a lot more on trips up North so I keep a T-Mobile SIM card with $100 on it good for a year to swap out and it lasts me about 9 months at 10 cents/min. I need to have my long time US number available for incoming calls up there anyway.

I asked about the supposed dead area west of Ajijic that I'd heard some people complain about. He said there was a weak area right in the area of all the restaurants by San Juan Cosalá, but that Joco was fine.

According to the brochure, when in the US your Mexican number will work the same as here on the AT&T network as if you were still in Mexico. This means calls to US numbers would consume your minutes but calls back here to the included Mexican networks wouldn't use minutes and data works just like you're still here too. Incoming calls are free but it'd be long distance for your US callers to reach you on you Mexican number unless they have their own international plan. I use my phone a lot more on trips up North so I keep a T-Mobile SIM card with $100 on it good for a year to swap out and it lasts me about 9 months at 10 cents/min. I need to have my long time US number available for incoming calls up there anyway.

I asked about the supposed dead area west of Ajijic that I'd heard some people complain about. He said there was a weak area right in the area of all the restaurants by San Juan Cosalá, but that Joco was fine.

This is great! This will work perfectly for me. I have phones NOB to use there but having a Mexican phone I can call Mexican numbers while in the USA is perfect. I appreciate you looking into and confirming the dead zones for me as I'm presently NOB. Will go check him out as soon as I return.

Thank you phxfunguy for the hot tips with this service. I'm cell phone challenged and have been getting by with the Telcel Amigo pay as you go but I loose my phone numbers each time I have to go north for months at a time. Paying for 2 years ahead will solve having to get new sims and numbers each time.

I assume that this service will work with my unlocked global GSM Motorola Moto G with micro-SIM card?

One other point, I thought that with this plan we get unlimited calls to Mexico, US and Canada. Why would calling US numbers consume minutes then? Do unlimited calls still eat minutes? What does "unlimited" mean then? Something I'm not understanding for certain.......

This is great! This will work perfectly for me. I have phones NOB to use there but having a Mexican phone I can call Mexican numbers while in the USA is perfect. I appreciate you looking into and confirming the dead zones for me as I'm presently NOB. Will go check him out as soon as I return.

Thank you phxfunguy for the hot tips with this service. I'm cell phone challenged and have been getting by with the Telcel Amigo pay as you go but I loose my phone numbers each time I have to go north for months at a time. Paying for 2 years ahead will solve having to get new sims and numbers each time.

I assume that this service will work with my unlocked global GSM Motorola Moto G with micro-SIM card?

One other point, I thought that with this plan we get unlimited calls to Mexico, US and Canada. Why would calling US numbers consume minutes then? Do unlimited calls still eat minutes? What does "unlimited" mean then? Something I'm not understanding for certain.......

I found their website and think I might have answered some of my own questions.

phxfunguy, I think you were quoting the $299 peso per month plan paid 10 months in advance with 14 free months added? So if I went with the $399 plan, paid 10 months with 14 free, would that be unlimited calling to all phones in Mexico, USA and Canada? I could call unlimited Telcel numbers as well? Does "unlimited" here mean calling all numbers and talking as many minutes as I want, all included in this plan? If so, this would still be dirt cheap. Talking for as long as I want to all numbers within Mexico, USA and Canada for only $166 pesos per month whether I'm calling from Mexico or in the USA?! Do I understand this correctly? Thanks again.

Archived