Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Doesn't Apologize for Deportation

Hud

If the USA were to lose half of the country/territory in some sort of war, you would have to wonder how many Americans would be trying to enter that territory later.

Immigrants from the USA pushed into Mexico, namely Texas and California, with the blessing of the US government until they tipped the scales in their favor, and they seceded from Mexico, demanding independence (in both states for a while) and/or annexation to the US.

It wasn't as though God designated what territory belonged to whom, but was some man made contrivance at the time called "Manifest Destiny" and a superior military.

At least the Mexican immigrants returning to their former lands are not demanding independence or reunification with Mexico.

Sovereignty seems to carry a whole lot more weight today with Trump and his ilk than it did with Polk and his ilk a 170 years ago.

"MANIFEST DESTINY" attitudes are alive and well in today's world, too. Unfortunately.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now matter how the tale is told, there is no way to get (at any price) U.S. Citizens to do the kind of labor involved in the farming industry, particularly the stoop labor. The last time they did it was during the Dust Bowl era. Those people were utterly desperate and physically tough enough for the job. Today, without the Mexican laborers, the food would rot in the fields and we wouldn't be having California wine to sip.

It's too bad that the various states who need this kind of labor can't institute a "bracero" program and get everyone's needs met, legally.

The current "head in the sand" method has resulted in the mess we have today.

The basic difference between the U.S. and Mexico is that Mexico doesn't NEED to import labor, so they can be tough on immigration. For a while, they were getting immigrants from the U.S. who were not financially able to contribute much to the economy. They changed the rules. We current immigrants are gravy. There is no way of fairly comparing the situations in both countries.

California has a migrant labor forcé come in during harvest time legally from Mexico, a federal program. I have seen bus loads of them at the Otay Mesa crossing in San Diego getting processed and in Mexicali as well. Private agencies recuit them from inside Mexico. Bring their busses to the border or have them take an intercity bus to get there and have busses waiting on the other side of the border to take them to agricultural áreas.

California has a migrant labor forcé come in during harvest time legally from Mexico, a federal program. I have seen bus loads of them at the Otay Mesa crossing in San Diego getting processed and in Mexicali as well. Private agencies recuit them from inside Mexico. Bring their busses to the border or have them take an intercity bus to get there and have busses waiting on the other side of the border to take them to agricultural áreas.

Thanks for the information......so BMH"s post about the difficulties of the grape harvest is not the situation today?

Hmm, I have no idea where I came up with the 80M population number? - sorry. However, the actual population of MX and the number of illegals NOB is up for grabs, in any case, it's a significantly large number and needs to be dealt with. As far as US employers "inviting" workers to come over is a lot like a curvacious young lady in an incredibly short skirt "inviting" me to a good time - I never had any problem turning down that invitation and this whole thing is just one more measure of the loss of morality in our society today - on both sides of the border. If we give up the rule of law then we give up our nation.

Thanks for the information......so BMH"s post about the difficulties of the grape harvest is not the situation today?

It is still a problem most likely because the total numbers don´t add up to enough farm workers considering this program is complicated to achieve and maintain over time. They have quotas and can turn anyone away during the interview process that would be deemed a risk of not returning to Mexico when scheduled. They allow whole families also, even babies, that I have seen in the lines.

As far as US employers "inviting" workers to come over is a lot like a curvacious young lady in an incredibly short skirt "inviting" me to a good time - I never had any problem turning down that invitation

That's another point where we differ,I've always had a hard time turning down that sort of invitation.

Yes, workers risking their lives to cross the border, leaving families and their culture behind so they can do backbreaking work in a nation where they are despised and vilified even as they are exploited just so their children will have food, shelter and an education is evidence of the loss of morality in our society today. God knows, THAT has never happened before, ever, anywhere.

Guest bennie2

oh pleeeze. this is not a PBS doc. its not 40 years ago. 1000's come in the 9th month & collect & stay, then reat of family comes. they take busses, drive, & fly. this is way beyound workers. its also gangs, activists, drug dealers. none of these mexicans were displaced after the alamo. (or what ever it was called). maybe afro americans can use the work? borders, language, culture is what mexico maintains as a nation. want your land back? ok we can make a deal. we will give you a big chunk near the border, part of calif, & then some. now you are under mexician rule. no healthcare no food vouchers no govt housing no affirmative action no free college nada. welcome home. you are back in mexico.

Michael Reagan's article is full of inaccuracies, distortions and outright lies. He states that one quarter of Mexico's population lives in the U.S. This is complete crap. So is his claim that over half of all immigrants in the U.S. are on welfare. I could go on but I won't...it's not my responsibility. Mr. Reagan should be ashamed of himself for lying. And anyone reading the article should resent being lied to.

Alex is spot on with this one. Michael Reagan = complete waste of braincells, despite given every possible break.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Reagan

There is always the "tell tales" that mark this type of scandolous misreporting. The first is the use of "deporting" when in fact that process is long, permanent, and subject to international agreement. In 99% of the time, including the U.S., Canada and Mexico, the person would rather agree to a "voluntary departure order" which leaves open a door, to petition for a return to that country, at some future date. The second "telltale" is the misuse of the terms "first, second and third world" countries. Those words went out the window 40 years ago. Now there is the G20 countries (of which Mexico is a member, with the 14th largest economy) and then the other 175 countries of the world.

Alex is spot on with this one. Michael Reagan = complete waste of braincells, despite given every possible break.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Reagan

There is always the "tell tales" that mark this type of scandolous misreporting. The first is the use of "deporting" when in fact that process is long, permanent, and subject to international agreement. In 99% of the time, including the U.S., Canada and Mexico, the person would rather agree to a "voluntary departure order" which leaves open a door, to petition for a return to that country, at some future date. The second "telltale" is the misuse of the terms "first, second and third world" countries. Those words went out the window 40 years ago. Now there is the G20 countries (of which Mexico is a member, with the 14th largest economy) and then the other 120 countries of the world.

Yes, that Michael Reagan is a force to be reckoned with. Not.

And no thread would be complete without an opinion piece from our local queen of the far righties. The question remains unanswered: Why is a person of Bennie's persuasion living in Mexico on purpose? :huh:

Michael Reagan's article is full of inaccuracies, distortions and outright lies. He states that one quarter of Mexico's population lives in the U.S. This is complete crap. So is his claim that over half of all immigrants in the U.S. are on welfare. I could go on but I won't...it's not my responsibility. Mr. Reagan should be ashamed of himself for lying. And anyone reading the article should resent being lied to.

Not sure where your sources are for substantially less than half of illegal immigrants being on welfare, but I am willing ot give sources on 51% being on welfare. Source here and Here.

cbviajero, you didn't have the advantage of learning from my Father who died young, or my Mother who lived to be 97, passing only 3 years ago. To this day when I consider doing something stupid I hear her voice calling my name. Where I came from we call it morals and responsibility, mostly a lost concept in today's world apparently. I think it was JC Watts who once said "character is doing the right thing even when no one is looking" - well, that's what we call morals where I come from.

A record 33.7 million Hispanics of Mexican origin resided in the United States in 2012, according to an analysis of Census Bureau data by Pew Research Center. This estimate includes11.4 million immigrants born in Mexico and 22.3 million born in the U.S. who self-identified as Hispanics of Mexican origin. from here

Jobs Americans Won't Do?

The majority of illegal-alien workers and low-skilled immigrants hold jobs in service, construction, and manufacturing. But native-born Americans hold the majority of these jobs within each sector. The Pew Hispanic Center also estimates that only 4% of illegal workers in the United States work in agriculture. 7 million illegal aliens hold non-agricultural jobs in the U.S.

According to the Pew Hispanic Center, there are approximately 8.3 million illegal workers in the United States. Only 4% of illegal workers work in agriculture (Pew Hispanic Trust, Tables 5 & 6), where most laborers are foreign-born and employers have a legal guestworker program (the H-2a visa) to supply all the seasonal labor they need. Nationally, 25% (of 1.4 million) crop laborers are U.S. citizens; 21% are legal immigrant workers (including H-2a workers); and 53% are illegal workers (National Agricultural Workers Survey). In the midwest, 48% are citizens, 23% are legal permanent residents, and 29% are illegal workers.

THE MAJORITY OF ILLEGAL WORKERS HOLD SERVICE, CONSTRUCTION, AND MANUFACTURING JOBS

When people claim that these workers are taking jobs that Americans won't do, they ignore these statistics from theBureau of Labor Statistics (2009 averages):

• 77.7 percent of the 7.75 million workers in food preparation and serving jobs are native-born workers (does not include legal immigrant workers). It is harder to get a job at McDonalds than it is to get into Harvard.
  • 65.8 percent of 5.38 million workers in cleaning and maintenance jobs are native-born workers (does not include legal immigrant workers)
  • 74.5 percent of the 7.45 million workers in construction and extraction jobs are native-born workers (does not include legal immigrant workers)
  • 75.9 percent of the 7.63 million workers in production jobs are native-born workers (does not include legal immigrant workers)

It is clear then, that these ARE jobs that Americans will do, if paid a fair wage.

According to research by Andrew Sum, a labor economist at Boston's Northeastern University, shows that the ratio of unemployed persons to job openings for construction workers is 22.1 to one, while for manufacturing it is 13 to 1. In December of 2000 these same ratios were 3.5 and 1.7 respectively. (Reuters, "U.S. Blue Collar Army Chases Few Vacancies")

https://www.numbersusa.org/pages/jobs-americans-wont-do

A government that is properly doing its job would not have created this situation, which is impoverishing the working class of America.

Sweat shop employers, however, love U.S. immigration policies.

I'm not totally sure about the laws in the U.S. - but all the illegals would most likely be claiming 'refugee' status. Canada has never recognized a single case of political refugee from Mexico. The system gets clogged, every claimant has the right to a hearing, and this is the important part - is not allowed to legally work. The government barely covers their food, housing, education, medical, dental until their case is heard. This is a requirement bound by international agreement, and culturally reinforced by a famous slogan written on the Statue of Liberty. Some claimants wait for the free bus ticket home, some work illegally, taking the chance, some rise to create some very wonderful accomplishments.

Quite a comittment to Customer Service, wouldn't you say?

New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Interesting bio...

Why someone would cite an article from that piece of work is beyond me.

There are many followers of that line of thought. Look at the popularity of certain current political hopefuls and the vast following of some talk show hosts and commentators on the news.

The U.S. is anything but homogeneous at this point. We expats don't even live there any more, but look at the level of heat generated on this and other boards when the subject of immigrants from Mexico comes up.

On the lighter side, check out Farrell's UTube piece on "The Constitution", which should get a chuckle out of anyone who watches it. He thinks the country is in the process of getting a divorce and needs an unbiased "intervention". Wouldn't hurt.

Archived