Chapala.com Webboard

Where can two newcomers eat Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?

SuzieQ1954

My daughter and I will arrive in the Upper Ajijic area about 7:00 p.m. Christmas Eve. Is there somewhere nice within easy walking distance for dinner or is it better we stay home and snack that evening? We would also like to attend a midnight mass or a candlelight service of some sort. Any suggestions?

My we also have recommendations for Christmas Day? I have been told that Maxin's and Go have good Christmas Day dinners. Which of those would be closer? Do we need reservations? Would they be serving primarily at the lunch or dinner hour? Any other recommendations?

Christmas Eve, Noche Buena, is family time in Mexico. Christmas Day is very quiet, as a result of the late night family activities which preceded.

You might want to eat at the airport upon arrival, then take a taxi to Ajijic and settle in for the night. Explore the next day. For Christmas dinner, many restaurants do prepare a US-style dinner or buffet, but reservations are usually required.

Christmas Eve, Noche Buena, is family time in Mexico. Christmas Day is very quiet, as a result of the late night family activities which preceded.

You might want to eat at the airport upon arrival, then take a taxi to Ajijic and settle in for the night. Explore the next day. For Christmas dinner, many restaurants do prepare a US-style dinner or buffet, but reservations are usually required.

If everything goes to plan you might arrive at the dinner hour. RV has given very good advice here. Eat at one of the places right outside the arrival area and then you won't be trying to find something here that is still serving. Then go to your hotel and unwind from the "joys of flying."

I have phone #s and will make advance reservations. Thanks all of you for the advice. I am sure I will need lots of coaching before this move is complete!

Oh yes, I think our house in located on Angel Flores. Or something close to that spelling. I don't have the information in front of me. We have the address is both English and Spanish translation for the taxi driver.

Oh yes, I think our house in located on Angel Flores. Or something close to that spelling. I don't have the information in front of me. We have the address is both English and Spanish transltation for the taxi driver.

You will likely need more then the address. I think you may well need explicit directions in Spanish. The cabbies at the airport know how to get to Ajijic but not necessarily their way around town.

And as we found out when running our B&B years ago, not all cabbies can read either, Spanish or English. Just the luck of the draw when you get in. Guests complained our Spanish directions were wrong and when we had our Spanish teacher review them she smiled and told us what the reality is!

Are you renting a house or staying in a hotel? If you're staying in a hotel or B&B they will help you. If you're staying in your own house you will probably have a hard time getting a taxi on Christmas Eve.

Consider spending one night at La Nueva Posada. The desk clerk will be able to check you in and take care of all your needs. Have dinner there, get a good night's sleep, have the breakfast that comes with your room, and then enjoy their Christmas dinner--just reserve the Christmas dinner when you make your reservation. There are so many things that can go wrong when you try to get into your own house for the first time. Enjoy Christmas, eliminate the stress.

After your dinner on Christmas Eve you might walk up to the plaza and see the live nativities in front of the main church and enjoy whatever is happening.

How do they get a chofer's license (written test) or understand road signs if some can't read? Are you referring to the taxistas that work for the official airport taxi company?

Well, um, gee, I never took a written or road test and I got a Mexican license. Sra. Lupita explained that some, not all, cannot read and will sometimes stop and ask directions or will tell the passenger that the "directions are wrong" rather than admit the truth. I found that explanation totally believable Yes, the official taxistas..

Definitely use Google and 'walk' to where you are staying. There are 2 Angel Flores streets in Ajijic. House numbers can be confusing (#12 on one side and #145 across the street), not to mention the one way streets. Streets also change names - Felipe Angeles becomes Angel Flores. Your taxi driver may use his phone to find the street on Google but you need to be prepared too. Although businesses change key things usually don't (traffic lights, Plaza Montana). Figure out what the street name is that you need to turn off the carraterra to get to your destination (Marcos Castellanos or Juarez) (these are the up streets).

How do they get a chofer's license (written test) or understand road signs if some can't read? Are you referring to the taxistas that work for the official airport taxi company?

Well, um, gee, I never took a written or road test and I got a Mexican license. Sra. Lupita explained that some, not all, cannot read and will sometimes stop and ask directions or will tell the passenger that the "directions are wrong" rather than admit the truth. I found that explanation totally believable Yes, the official taxistas..

Just wondering is all, as the members of my family, in the double digits, all Mexican, had to pass the written test before getting their first licencia. YMMV

Are you renting a house or staying in a hotel? If you're staying in a hotel or B&B they will help you. If you're staying in your own house you will probably have a hard time getting a taxi on Christmas Eve.

Consider spending one night at La Nueva Posada. The desk clerk will be able to check you in and take care of all your needs. Have dinner there, get a good night's sleep, have the breakfast that comes with your room, and then enjoy their Christmas dinner--just reserve the Christmas dinner when you make your reservation. There are so many things that can go wrong when you try to get into your own house for the first time. Enjoy Christmas, eliminate the stress.

After your dinner on Christmas Eve you might walk up to the plaza and see the live nativities in front of the main church and enjoy whatever is happening.

AjijicCharlie has a great idea. There is a lot going on in Ajijic Plaza on Christmas Eve. Nuevo Posada would be a lovely place to stay for the night without the worry about getting settled in a house you are just moving into.

Another vote for AjijicCharlie's suggestion. What a nice way to spend Christmas ... also, when you make your reservation ask for them to arrange transportation from the airport. That way they will have someone there with a sign with your name and will take you directly to the hotel. We did this when staying at Christmas for the first time at a different B&B in the area before we moved and it was so nice and stress free.

Archived