Chapala.com Webboard

Nuevo Laredo to Ajijic

Mr. Plumo

Hi all!

Departure by car from Canada to Ajijic is approaching fast.

When we clear customs and immigration in Nuevo Laredo and after we pass Monterrey, what would be your best recommended route?

A. Via Zacatecas or

B. Via Matehuala

Do both area have similar safe divided highways ?

Thank you for your replies!!!!

We always went by way of Zacatecas but you don't actually go through town at all. You get on the cuota bypass that takes you to Aguascalientes which has several "loops" to get you through the old town without trouble. The highways are good from Saltillo down to Ajijic. You don't have to go through Saltillo either. Just stay on the outer loop cuota but gas up when you can as it is a long trip with lots of nothing. I feel this way has always been safer than through Matehuala which has had a bad rep since way before narco times. Bandidos have worked that route for years.

Through Matehuala is the safest, more gas available, more food stops, motels, etc. The other way can become very isolated and you do not want to break down on that route.. However, if you are an experienced driver in Mexico, then you understand the risks through Zac. Newbies all should come through Matehuala. Be sure you always watch when they give you gas, and count your change. Learn to say "no, gracias".

Regardless of which road you take south from Saltilo (54 to Zacatecas/Aguascalientes or 57 to Matehuala/San Luis Potosi/Lagos de Moreno), the free portion of 85 South is a very bad stretch of road between Nuevo Laredo and the top of the toll road heading on south to Monterrey (85D). Drive carefully through that as you will find the transport trucks weaving erratically all over the road trying to miss the potholes and sections of broken up pavement.

If you want a turn-by-turn log of the route through Matehuala send me your email address by PM and I'll send it. 15 years ago used to go the Zacatecas/Aguas route.

When so many toll roads opened on the Matehuela route we changed. It takes more time to go the route around Zaxatecas and we will no longer do it.

• 2 weeks later...

From San Antonio, I take the road to Harlingen, Texas and cross at the Free Trade Bridge at Los Indios, Texas. From entering we go this way:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ajijic,+Jalisco,+Mexico/26.1498862,-97.6674668/29.4294162,-98.4649565/@27.5766639,-110.883137,4.21z/data=!4m10!4m9!1m5!1m1!1s0x842f414c90a728b5:0xb8d60a7105a49d63!2m2!1d-103.2634411!2d20.2995464!1m0!1m0!3e0

It is not the tourist trail, but the Green Angels patrol the route. Much less tolls and traffic, shorter and a more tranquil driving experience. No lemmings either.

It is not necessary to go all the way to Harlingen. Try Pharr which is very quiet and fast and connects you directly to free roads going south. It avoids any passage through McAllen as it connects directly to a short toll road that connects with the main road south well below the urban area of McAllen.

From there, definitely an easy run to here. We generally cross at daylight and are home with plenty of light to spare.

From San Antonio, we and a friend measured the driving distance and time comparing Pharr to Laredo. There was less than 30 miles difference and the times were identical. As you note, the tolls are a lot less.

BTW, keep an eye out for the completion of the west side bypass around San Luis Potosi which will end the need to use that poor bypass cuota which doubles as a speed trap on the south side. We have been driving straight through SLP, saving time and tolls but that is not recommended for the inexperienced. The new bypass, the northern part of which is complete now will make getting around SLP easier than ever, though it will be a toll road.

Based on what we can see of the construction, I'd expect it to open by mid year 2016.

MC,

You obviously have never used the Los Indios bridge. The route avoids all crowded cities on both sides of the border. Check the route, you will see.

And, I assume that you have never used Pharr, as it does not go thru a single crowded city. I have done Pharr twice, and it (if you follow MC's directions) is certainly easy crossing with easy paperwork. If this is the first trip of a newbie, then the Matehuala route is the one they should take, as it offers the most advantages, and certainly no areas of isolation. But, they must make that decision, based on their knowledge of driving in Mexico.

I have used Pharr several times before I knew better. You are right, you must make your own decisions. I really am wrong telling people about the route, it would be crowded if they all knew.

There is not the feeling you are running a gauntlet as there is on the Matehuala way, more real and leasurly traveling.

• 1 year later...
On ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎14 at 11:54 AM, Hud said:

And, I assume that you have never used Pharr, as it does not go thru a single crowded city. I have done Pharr twice, and it (if you follow MC's directions) is certainly easy crossing with easy paperwork. If this is the first trip of a newbie, then the Matehuala route is the one they should take, as it offers the most advantages, and certainly no areas of isolation. But, they must make that decision, based on their knowledge of driving in Mexico.

Can you tell me more about the MATEHUALA  route even if you good directions

What more do you need?  If you want to stay at Las Palmas, exit from the cuota for Matehuala and look for the huge sign.  Have you ordered your copy of Guia Roji Gran Atlas yet?  It is a good study to get you familiar with places and routes.

8 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

What more do you need?  If you want to stay at Las Palmas, exit from the cuota for Matehuala and look for the huge sign.  Have you ordered your copy of Guia Roji Gran Atlas yet?  It is a good study to get you familiar with places and routes.

This is a post from someone who doesn't even live in Mexico..  Las Palmas is a dump.. 20 years ago it was a very nice place, but now it's run down. The only good thing about it is the restaurant..

I have driven from Ontario many times and have found the easiest crossing to be Colombia

Get a motel just as you come in to Laredo,, then cros at Colombia at 8am when they open.. Never found any real difference in either route. Zac or Mat.

" This is a post from someone who doesn't even live in Mexico..  Las Palmas is a dump.. "

I often wonder why some folks need to try and tear down others to make their point. While it is true that RV no longer lives in Chapala (not his preference!), he did so for a ton of years. Now whether he or any of us know the current condition of Las Palmas, I doubt it is a "dump". I haven't stayed there for 5-7 years but it was "OK" then.

So, to the point.... since Matehuala seems to be on everyone's radar, does/can anyone give us a current assessment of their stay at Las Palmas?

On November 18, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Mainecoons said:

When was the last time you stayed at Las Palmas?

If you haven't stayed there, what is the source of your information?

If your referring to my post. My last time and I mean the last time was 2 years ago. As I said its run down..  No hot water and no internet.. I have stayed there severall times over the last ten years and have noticed it's become more run down each year.. The only good thing is the on site restaurant.. And it's a convenient place to to stop on the way down.

Yes I was and you could have left out the first sentence of that post and substituted this so people would know when you've been there.  Try keeping the focus on yourself and leaving out the pot shots at others.  

19 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

If your referring to my post. My last time and I mean the last time was 2 years ago. As I said its run down..  No hot water and no internet.. I have stayed there severall times over the last ten years and have noticed it's become more run down each year.. The only good thing is the on site restaurant.. And it's a convenient place to to stop on the way down.

On November 20, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Mainecoons said:

Yes I was and you could have left out the first sentence of that post and substituted this so people would know when you've been there.  Try keeping the focus on yourself and leaving out the pot shots at others.  

I know he's your friend and and no one is allowed to say anything about you or your friends on this board under threat of being banned.

I wasn't taking potshots at anyone. I was just stating that this person is stating facts about which he has little knowledge. I think the OP deserves up to date Infomation. If you search previous threads you will see many posters state the Palms is well past its prime..

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's actually not correct at all. There has been very little said about that place over the years on this board.

I agree CG, except for when folks (like me) suggest it as a place to stay. That's why (above) I asked for input from someone who has stayed there recently... to either confirm or rebut the 'dump' status given it by a Poster.

Archived