Chapala.com Webboard

Dish Network

Brikk66

A renter here. My cable is provided by Telecable. Additionally, I get 4 US networks (the NYC affiliates) through Dish Network.They are channels 84-87. For the past week or so the 4 Dish provided networks do not appear until mid-morning, even noon. Last night and now this morning, 3 of the 4 are channel 84, the CBS affiliate. 84, 86, and 87 are showing the same thing. Am I the only one experiencing this? Why is this happening?

Sadly that's what happens when you get your signals for free and need a new code to unscramble the signal. The fact that this is happening so often may mean that they need to find another source, to get the signals for free.

Lets hope they find a more reliable way to get these signals from north of the boarder. If they can't find one, just maybe they will stop rebroadcasting these four US Network channels here, lakeside.

I sure hope I am guessing wrong :)

We had the same problem last night. Only good thing for us was that we really like CBS. Today we had the digital box installed. We asked for a splitter and got it. Now we can see both sets of stations. Thanks for all the info about what works on Telecable.

Carol

I just stopped at the Telecable office to ask about this..Their sincere answer was that they hoped to have an engineer due in this afternoon to try and resolve the problem;. They are aware of the issue, my guess is Manana..

We currently live in La Paz (Baja California Sur) but we are considering a move to Lakeside. Here the most popular TV system is Dish Mexico and Sky is a distant 2nd. There's also MegaCable, but even their own installers don't recommend it! Is Dish Mexico available in Lakeside? I see a lot of posts about Telecable but so far none about Dish or Sky.

Thanks, RVGringo. I see that Telecable also offers Internet service (10MB?) Can anybody provide a comparison between that and Telmex's Internet? All we have here is Telmex and it's been reliable for the past 5 years but just recently it's become very frustrating - up and down numerous times per day. I'll be in Ajijic for a couple weeks the end of this month to look around but I'm trying to get as many questions answered in advance as possible.

Everybody is still waiting for some sort of news as to what will happen with the Telmex and Dish Latino merger. Mexico is not much on public relations or customer service - Telmex was fined millions of pesos, for example, for keeping the transaction secret. They are supposed to be launching a roof mounted satellite dish which offers free long distance, up to 5mps internet access, and a package of Spanish language channels. All this for around 300 pesos per month and 2,500 pesos for the dish (based on the 12 million plus Dish subscribers in the U.S.A.). Months ago they were saying the holdup is with the two big broadcasters in Mexico who wanted (for the first time) to be compensated for their broadcasts.

So it is a matter of time. I have a theory that Telmex is holding back services and maintenance right now because their existing phone lines and internet servers will soon become obsolete. Since we are crystal ball reading, Telecable will be unable to provide internet and cable services for much less than they already are, so they will probably go broke, and Telmex will pickup the pieces. My other "crystal ball" reading is that Telmex is running the numbers to see if they can install the Dish Satellites anywhere in Latin America. This will require the launch of a new Anik satellite though, which is probably financially viable. They could offer phone/internet/entertainment to areas which have never had this option. The threats to this happening is that Google is investing billions into low altitude satellites to serve the world market. Also, securing satellite access from "theft of services" has been a very difficult technical challenge. It seems the world gets it's MTV, then they want FREE MTV!

The Dish/Telmex merge is still highly unsure if it will continue, so don't expect anything from that soon... Also in the mayor cities, Telmex already renewed their cables by fiberglass and is already offering internet till 200mbps (depending of zone) so it would be strange they will start offering satellite internet/telephone when they are already offering much better options with fiber in some cities and continue renewing cables in other cities. So they aren't holding back services and maintenance at all.
Satellite is only interesting for those remote places where it is too expensive to bring cables to, otherwise it is just too slow in speed and ping compared to fiber internet.

Telecable on the other hand has been already sold to Televisa earlier this year. So highly unlikely Telecable will go broke. Most likely they will change their name to Izzi but i don't see them going to be broke.

Telecable has good and bad service, totally depends of city/neighborhood or even street. If it works ok, telecable really has good service compared to the normal (no-fiber) telmex. But if you are out of luck you can have nothing else then problems with telecable but it really depends of the zone. It is good to give telecable a shot for a month or two and then decide to stay or go with telmex as they don't have a minimum contract.

Besides that, in more and more cities you start to get more services with fiberglass like Axtel, Totalplay, Izzi and other cablecompanies (with internet speeds up to 300mbps, telephone and television) and those are hitting hard existing companies like telmex, Dish and Sky. Looking in my neighborhood, about 80% of all telephone/internet/tv lines are Axtel or Totalplay, an other 10-15% Telecable and Telmex/Dish/Sky at most 5%. Telmex, Dish and Sky are really losing the battle in many places where more services other then Telmex and Telecable are available. I don't think satellite will become popular in a near future in places where fiberglass is available. And as more and more cities each month are getting fiberglass i doubt it will ever become popular again other then in remote areas.

This is sure not happening in the small towns of Mexico. We are a community of several hundred middle/upper class homes within one mile of a T1 backbone in Chapala. Telmex will not put in a fiber optic connection to raise the internet speed above 1.5 mps. There was even a signup of people willing to subscribe to a fiber optic package offered by Telmex. It is very expensive to install, maintain and secure access to cable. Google "death of cable companies" - 32 million hits. Since Telmex was ordered to break the monopoly of telephone, cellular plans are springing up everywhere, they can't build towers fast enough. There could be a low cost version of 3G or 4G internet access - I have no idea why that has never happened. Probably a fixed satellite signal is much easier to setup? But then dishes are often not allowed in apartment buildings and they are often stolen by people who do not realize that the dish and LNB(s) are of little value.

Archived