Chapala.com Webboard

Problem with Pet Food

hensley

Just got this in an e-mail this morning:

Hi Guys:
Our cats quit eating their Costco dry food. They just wouldn’t touch it. They kept coming to us and crying for food. I happened to sniff the bag of Costco cat food and it reeked of petroleum / chemical smell. We stopped feeding them that right away and bought something new at the animal shelter this morning. They are eating that food without problems.
The company that makes Costco cat and dog food was implicated in the scandal from a couple years ago in which many pets died of kidney problems. It was caused by manufacturers spiking their animal products with chemicals to make them appear to be high in protein. That was also when we found out that the Chinese were putting those chemicals in their baby’s milk formula so that they could make it more cheaply...
This might be an isolated incident, but check you cat and dog food and make sure it smells OK.
About 2 years ago we tried Costco Cat food an he wouldn't eat it. Thank goodness we didn't pursue it.

Just got this in an e-mail this morning:

Hi Guys:

Our cats quit eating their Costco dry food. They just wouldnt touch it. They kept coming to us and crying for food. I happened to sniff the bag of Costco cat food and it reeked of petroleum / chemical smell. We stopped feeding them that right away and bought something new at the animal shelter this morning. They are eating that food without problems.

The company that makes Costco cat and dog food was implicated in the scandal from a couple years ago in which many pets died of kidney problems. It was caused by manufacturers spiking their animal products with chemicals to make them appear to be high in protein. That was also when we found out that the Chinese were putting those chemicals in their babys milk formula so that they could make it more cheaply...

This might be an isolated incident, but check you cat and dog food and make sure it smells OK.

About 2 years ago we tried Costco Cat food an he wouldn't eat it. Thank goodness we didn't pursue it.

We have used the Costco cat food for years and a few weeks ago experienced the same problem. We took the bag back to Costco and were given a full refund. We noticed that all of the Kirkland cat food had been taken off display. It would appear that there was a"bad" batch.

I had that problem with Costco regular dog food about a year ago. The dogs just stopped eating it, so we switched to another. I never went over and smelled the bag, now I wished I had. This explains a lot. I still use the Costco puppy for our 2 puppies, you can bet I will be smelling every bag from now on.

I have many cats and have used Kirkland brand for many years here.

This is my first experience with a bad batch.

I had to return several bags to the store.

They quickly issued a refund and inquired about the return reason.

The lady at the desk made notes about the return reason and assured me that these returned bags would not be put back into stock again, and would follow-up with the problem.

When I smelled the food from the opened bag, after my cats refused to eat it,

the smell reminded me of when an oil has become rancid.

I attributed it to too much heat or sun exposure to the bags, [ not a good thing ]

possibly occurring in transit or storing until it hit the Costco store where I bought it..

I bought some other brand of food in the interim.

I returned to Costco a week ago Monday and bought one new bag as a 'test'..

The smell of the food was 'normal' , not rancid, and my cats are gobbling up the food ever since.

And the subsequent bags at that last purchase have all been fine / normal

with no smell or refusal to eat.

I think this was one bad shipment.

I will continue to use this food,

as it is on a par with Diamond in nutrition /' primary ingredients and much easier on my pocketbook.

Interesting that you should post this. Our cat is a real garbage-guts and normally eats so fast he doesn't taste anything on the way down. He has been eating that Costco food for a few years, and really liked it, but with the last bag he threw it up right after eating it the first time. After that, he would never try it again. I finally smelled the food in the bag and I thought it smelled really bad, although I can't explain how. We took it back to Costco this week and they asked no questions, just refunded the money. We got the feeling somehow that they weren't surprised, and now I know why.

Anyone have any idea how long the dry dog/cat food will keep? We have 2 small dogs and buy the Kirkland Natural food. Since it is such a large bag we keep it in the bag inside a Rubbermaid tote. It takes us about 3 months to go through a bag. Don't want to feed rancid food.

Diamond/Kirkland brand pet foods have the best ingredient list of the foods we can get in Mexico. Sounds like one bad batch. I checked several pet food sites that normally report large area wide problems and found nothing. I will continue to feed it because I haven't seen a better dry food alternative.

I know Diamond is a good name in food but .......

I take car of two large groups of cats and another friend takes care of another group. None of these cats will touch this cat food. This is not a new problem as my cats hated this food years ago. I think we have a new problem of a bad batch BUT also never been my cats favorite in the past.

Not sure what is going on but ALL these cats can't be wrong.

Archived