Chapala.com Webboard

looking for Spanish immersion

nothernewbie

I would pick a prettier and less congested place than Guad so she can really enjoy it. I LOVED Guanajuato when I attended Escuela Mexicana there. It was very safe for walking around in the pedestrian precinct in the evening and seeing all the shows put on by students at the Arts university there. The school was great, too. We did our "home stay" in the house of the person who owns the school, Hayde (don't remember her last name). You might want to request that your granddaughter stay in her home as usually there are several students there and it would be easier to meet people to hang out with.

It's a four hour bus ride from the ETN bus station on the luxury bus, so very easy to get there also.

The original post has not specificed that she wants to learn spanish in Mexico. If she is taking a gap year and wants to be immersed in Spanish, I think Guatemala is the place to go. The schools are very intense and very cheap compared to Mexico, there are many cities and towns that offer these programs, We have studied in Guetzaltengao, Chichi, and Antigua. All were 5 hours a day, one on one instruction.

The original post has not specificed that she wants to learn spanish in Mexico. If she is taking a gap year and wants to be immersed in Spanish, I think Guatemala is the place to go. The schools are very intense and very cheap compared to Mexico, there are many cities and towns that offer these programs, We have studied in Guetzaltengao, Chichi, and Antigua. All were 5 hours a day, one on one instruction.

38 years ago I took a two week course in Quetzaltenango/Xela,that included living with a Guatemalan family,it was a great experience.

I went here in San Pedro la Laguna, Guatemala. http://www.sanpedrospanishschool.org/

I chose them over Mexico because they are a lot cheaper and they teach Spanish properly, void of slang to form complete sentences.

I spent two months at San Pedro Spanish School last year and it was my second visit and absolutely love it. It is a very safe environment and lots of young people especially from Europe. I highly recommend them! For me, 3 hour one-on-one lessons and living with a family with three meals a day was less than $200 a week.

Archived