Chapala.com Webboard

Texans

Kurbie

My wife is from Texas (Dallas) and I understand there's quite a few "Texans" in the area. I've read there was a group that got together once a month or so. We're looking forward to our 1st visit in November and, as my wife would say, "How 'bout them Cowboys!" *LOL*

Texas is big! San Diego is closer to El Paso than Houston is. Austin is closer to New Orleans than it is to El Paso. The distance between Dallas and Houston is almost the same as between London and Paris. The King Ranch in south Texas is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

I wasn't born in Texas but I got there as soon as I could.

(Yes, I know that is a famous bumper sticker)

Generalization here: Texans are thicker on the ground here in the summer months when they come south to escape the heat. I know that sounds like an oxymoron or something (go south to cool off?) BUT I think it is valid, as we are at a high altitude here and it is generally very comfortable in summer, no need for AC. We full-timers have about one month between the departure of the Canadians and the arrival of the Texans. It is called "May" but...over the last few years it seems to me that there are a lot more full-timers as opposed to part-timers, so this year it was hard to notice a difference in traffic IMHO. Not to mention that more Guadalajarans are moving here and commuting to the city, which is wonderful, but the traffic going into GDL at 7:00 a.m. is, uh, impressive.

I am a South Texan by birth, now living on the beautiful west coast of Nayarit between Punta Mita and Sayulita. As the summers have seemed (at least to me) to become hotter and hotter, I am so grateful that many snowbirds need my dog and house care in the summer. I grew up without air conditioning, of course, (think attic fan as a near-god) but my dear SweetPea just can't do Nayarit August or September anymore, so here we are! I used to think it was politics that drove me from Texas, but now I see it's just too damn hot! Ain't gonna open up that global warming can o'worms, just sayin.....

We moved here from Celina, TX in April 2013. Though neither of us is officially a Texan, that's the last place we are officially from.

As one gets older one feels heat and cold more. Plus, the cities have all gotten so large there compared to when I went to grad school in Austin in 1969. All that pavement makes them a lot hotter.

Sigh....Austin was a paradise to live in back then, now it is just another huge, hot, traffic clogged mess. Ditto for San Antonio. Went to the World's Fair there in 1968.

I miss the days when things and places were smaller and simpler. Seems like we're rapidly getting urbanize here now.

:(

Back in my youth, there were only 1/3 the number of people on the planet, compared to now. Maybe the Japanese are on the right track with a non-replacement birthrate and a declining population. Of course, some just want to escape to Mars as we enter the sixth mass extinction era.

Archived