Chapala.com Webboard

Recent Cuenca High Article says expats are leaving Ajijic because of increasing drug violence? Hype or true?

Garth

Again, this concept that Chapala or Ajijic is, or will become, a tourist destination.

I was curious as to what Trip Advisor has selected as the top ten tourist attractions of Ajijic, didn't even try Chapala. How many can you cross off on your Ajijic "bucket list"?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g499405-Activities-Ajijic.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea is preposterous that this is typical of towns in the United States. Camden or East St. Louis in their worst years, possibly, but not elsewhere. A dozen murders a year in a town of 14,000 yields a murder rate of 85.7/100,000. In 2013,the last year FBI figures were available, the nationwide murder rate was 4.5/100,000.

I won't continue defending the facts but just to touch the tip of the iceberg; 3 March 2015 (drug related murder of a 23 year old), 13 April 2015 (homicide / suicide by spouses), 2 August 2015 (wife shoots and kills husband) , 12 August 2015 (Doctor found stabbed to death in her home), 15 August 2015 (woman's body found shot in the head). Those are just a quick pick from this year's homicides.

Believe what you want, carcamal. This isn't the thread for me to defend the truth of my entry but it is a fact and just some of this year's murders in my little home town. The point I was making was that there are more murders in that little town every year than here at Lakeside. Compare your figures with Camden or East St. Louis but it won't change the facts in my (former) home town. Why you would think I was making these facts up is just not understandable to me.

Things are getting silly and ridiculous now. People feel safe here because if the cartels were to murder them, there would be an international incident? Give us a break. The more people write here the more the OP may decide he is better off around the people he knows in Cuenca. Some of you never read what you write, and shame on those of you who make fun of the OP; he is trying to find out about how life really is here, and sadly, you are telling him.. Time to CLOSE this, since the OP has thanked everyone and has "left the building". :)

Thanks Jim Bowie for the support, but I am still hear, reading peoples comments. It is true that I am just trying to learn what life is like in Lakeside, and I especially appreciate the folks that are patient with a nubie like me who occasionally asks dumb questions. Thanks for all those of you who are trying to educate me about what life is really like in Lakeside.

The only way to find out how things are is to come and see, meet people, talk to people and get a feel for the various places around the lake. Each village has a very different feel.

As far as the security is concerned it is what it is. For some people it is great for some others it is not , it is the half empty or full glass view of life.

Garth, I can tell you that the vast majority of people here feel pretty safe, and isolated from any cartel activity. This includes business owners all over lakeside, and many, many residents. Yes, there are details that aren't worth going into, just like Monesson postulated. I'm not particularly brave, but I go about my days and nights, as do most of us, just being aware, not worried. As one would anywhere.

I won't continue defending the facts but just to touch the tip of the iceberg; 3 March 2015 (drug related murder of a 23 year old), 13 April 2015 (homicide / suicide by spouses), 2 August 2015 (wife shoots and kills husband) , 12 August 2015 (Doctor found stabbed to death in her home), 15 August 2015 (woman's body found shot in the head). Those are just a quick pick from this year's homicides.

Believe what you want, carcamal. This isn't the thread for me to defend the truth of my entry but it is a fact and just some of this year's murders in my little home town. The point I was making was that there are more murders in that little town every year than here at Lakeside. Compare your figures with Camden or East St. Louis but it won't change the facts in my (former) home town. Why you would think I was making these facts up is just not understandable to me.

I think the issue here is the safety of foreigners. Yes, there is violence and murder among Mexicans, mostly drug related. I believe those listed above were all Mexican. Can you recount the murders of foreigners here over the last 10 years? I recall only two. One was a robbery gone back, the other was committed by a teenager who felt he'd been mistreated by a gay man. Were there more? Please share what you know.

I have never seen a thread with so much opinionated misinformation that serves no one any value whether they are living here or thinking of living here.

Each person's tolerance of anything is so individual that applying another's set of standards is worthless....as are the opinions in this thread.

End of rant.......

Yes, and I reread my post, Jim Bowie, as you admonish everyone to do frequently.

Guest bennie2

elsaltos, i will recount the number of murders of expats in the last several years. narrowed it down from nov. 2011 thru 2014, but skipped serious assaults. most listed were home invasions. chris kahr (shot in his driveway), elderly couple in chapala highlands (german man &wife @home), canadian couple floresta (@home), riberis (elderly man @home), chapala (elderly man leaving bank), elderly expat (riberis), these are the ones that stay in my mind. there are others, dont have time to go to google/former crime sites (or the other forums). innocent old folks, retired. there were several arrests but i wonder if they are still in jail. i would not say these things but so many other have already on this thread. yes, it has quieted down.

It should not be locked, IMO. Posts that stray erroneously from the original intent should perhaps be modified, with an explanation by the moderator.

As a moderator many times, I can say that simply chopping off a limb on a chat board serves no purpose.

Guest bennie2

artical is 50% off base, its a hype for cuenca. never heard of the expats who claimed to have lived here. maybe they did, or did not. there are enough true documented stories, that we dont need documentation for "the canadian highway". the so called writter, mixed & matched 2012 drug violence w/the present. yes, there were guad roadblocks after '12. the height of that violence is over. it is a poorly written piece. too bad, it throws out the baby w/the bath water. it invalidates existing realities. what is kind of humorous is we have oldfolks discussing one 3rd world place vs another.

The only way to find out how things are is to come and see, meet people, talk to people and get a feel for the various places around the lake. Each village has a very different feel.

As far as the security is concerned it is what it is. For some people it is great for some others it is not , it is the half empty or full glass view of life.

That's it.

Archived