Chapala.com Webboard

Where does Ajijic end?

Al Berca

Hector and I have tried to help on several issues relating to La C. I have been told that Ajijic cqn ask for independence with 20, 000 residents another time 30, 000 was the number,

Well La Canacinta is definitely in Ajijic. Not sure if the streets and developments to the west of us are also Ajijic. Not sure where the barrio of La Cancacinta ends going west, but I do know we are considered a barrio. And we even have a chapel of our own! But I do not think there is another village west of us, just farm land and condos and housing developments.

The border between Jocotepec and Chapala is at the sign. As you go east you will see signs identifying the various areas -La Christina, Las Palmas, El Bajio, Lomas Chapinaya, etc.

You may be looking for an answer that isn't definite.

It is a good question. When we arrived 1 5 years ago the services would stop at Rio Bravo now who knows what is included, It is up to Chapala I guess. The paved road stops just past the panteon so who know if after that is part of Ajijic, I would think La Cristina and Canacinta are part of the Chapala municipio just like Ajijic is but after that I have no idea. If they are not on the sewer or water systm that is part of Ajijic I would think they are not part of Ajijic but that is just a guess .

We have municipal water and trash collection in La Cristina but no sewer. Our roads are covered by Chapala but they claim no money so we took up a neighborhood collection to fix the worst of it. Our mailing address is Ajijic.

Let us assume that the big sign is within a few hundred or so feet of the actual border of the two municipalities. The question is still the same. Is the area on the farthest east end before the Joco border considered Ajijic? If not, what is it?

So far, with mexilady's help, Ajijic includes LaCristina. What is between La Cristina and the Joco border? Still Ajijic?

I guess because mexilady's mailing address is Ajijic you are assuming La Christiana is part of Ajijic. I live in San Juan Cosala which is definitely part of Jocotepec but my mail goes through Ajijic. A few times it has gone to Jocotepec from where it is sent to Ajijic and then back to me.

The answer remains the same-the area just before the Joco border is La Christina. I doubt if many people living in these various developments consider that they live in Ajijic.

If it is really important to you go to the two city halls and ask. I suspect some parts will be connected to Ajijic for some things but to Joco for others. Not cut and dry as it is Mexico.

The reason we can't get a clear answer is because of the independence issue. Chapala claims Ajijic has a pop of 10,000. The municipality has to accept an area , i.e.Riberas or it is not a part It is this acceptance issue that determines when an area is a part of a municipality. Since Ajijic is a part of Chapala any part of Ajijic is a part of Chapala.

No one is questioning what you just wrote Harry, but the question is about Ajijic itself, not the municipality of Chapala. I am sorry that I do not know how to be more clear. The eastern boundary of Ajijic is the east end of La Floresta. Why is the west end not as easily defined? It is there somewhere, but nobody knows for sure.

We are just west of La Christina road and considered part of La Christina. We get trash pick-up and our phone bill, which comes to our mailbox is addressed to Ajijic. I've always been told that the big sign marked the Jocotepec boundary.

There isn't any defined west boundary to Ajijic, as there aren't any incorporated villages to the west (only fraccs and condos) as there is to the east with SAT. Of course, anything remotely identified as Ajijic would definitely end at the Municipio of Jocotepec line. So all you folks from Villa Nova to the Jocotepec line can say you live in Ajijic/(slash) Los Sabinos, La Reserva or whatever, and you are not mishandling the truth.

I think what you are looking for is a west boundary city limits sign, and there isn't any, and unless one of the little developments tries to get pueblo status it will stay that way. Lake and mountains define the N/S limits naturally with federal zones and restricted areas to build, so Ajijic can only grow west with any significance.

Have you ever seen how the Municipios of Zapopan and Tlaquepaque grew and gerrymandered around the Municipio of Guad. US politicians couldn't have done a better job. :D

Archived