Chapala.com Webboard

Residente permanente question

Tingting

We've had RP status for several years now, but are thinking about doing some long-term traveling. Here's the dilemma: is there a limit as to how long you can be out of the country? What we're thinking of doing is selling our property and traveling for a couple (max) of years out-of-country and then returning. Does this risk our RP status or is it allowed? Has anyone else done this? We don't want to rent out our house for the obvious reasons (risky). Thanks in advance!

Thank you both! Obviously, we'll double check with a lawyer before leaving (because laws can change, etc), but it really helps us decide whether or not to do this.

(Mod: Sorry I didn't place this in the right forum. I didn't even look to see if there was a separate one for these kind of questions. :blink:)

lcscats: that may be so, but most of us don't know what the changes were exactly, hence the question. Please don't think I'm being grumpy, or anything, with your response since that's also a valid point. We're just in the "what if" stages of planning some travel and we don't want to do anything that could jeopardize our status here. Again, we'll double check closer to our "definitely going to do" stage to make sure. Of course, this is Mexico and what is law today could change tomorrow...oh, the adventure!

• 2 weeks later...

you are suppose to notify within 90 days your chg of address. would you have a new address to give??

This is a good point. If you sell the house in Mexico and do not provide another Mexican address, can you still maintain a permanent resident status with no Mexican residence? Maybe use a friend or neighbor's address? Would definitely ask someone like Spencer.

Archived