Chapala.com Webboard

Mezcala Island Tour

gary0131

Try Exciquio Santiago 333-184-7952. He will arrange the boat(s) and give you a very good tour of the island and its history. He does not speak much English but was working on it the last time I saw him, which was a while ago, so I am not sure this phone # is still correct. It would be good for your guests to read up on the history of the island before you go.

Try Exciquio Santiago 333-184-7952. He will arrange the boat(s) and give you a very good tour of the island and its history. He does not speak much English but was working on it the last time I saw him, which was a while ago, so I am not sure this phone # is still correct. It would be good for your guests to read up on the history of the island before you go.

Our guests loved the tour. Wear good walking shoes and bring plenty of water. It's a real hike to the top. On a side note, there is a mural depicting the history and heroes of Mezcala on a wall of the bathroom building in the Ajijic Malecon park, complete with a written story (in Spanish) . Might be fun to look at before the tour or after.

... and Exciquio has been heavily involved in setting up a small museum to display artifacts and the history of the area that is well worth the time to visit while in Mezcala. It is on the south side of the plaza directly opposite the church. Small donations towards its upkeep are appreciated.

Any of the boats at the Chapala pier will take you out. There are several restaurants, and some artifacts, if you don't have to hear the history.

Perhaps you are thinking of Isla del Alacran/Scorpion Island at Chapala, which is not very interesting.

El Refugio is on the island off Mezcala. It is a very historical site and worth visiting.

Thanks for being polite and not calling me any names in particular for making that bone-headed mistake, RV. Geez. Weekends.

There are also lots of people who will approach you at the pier in Mezcala with offers of rides for money. I don't think any of them have a history patter to go with the ride, though.

Thanks for being polite and not calling me any names in particular for making that bone-headed mistake, RV. Geez. Weekends.

There are also lots of people who will approach you at the pier in Mezcala with offers of rides for money. I don't think any of them have a history patter to go with the ride, though.

It might depend on the guide. The one that approached us and gave us a tour knew a lot about the history. We asked several questions and he seemed to be quite knowledegable. On a separate occasion, my daughter and SIL were visiting and had a similar experience with another young guy that approached them. But I will admit that it is likely that it is hit or miss.

I have guests coming and they would like to go Mezcala Island. Does someone know someone I can contact for tour?

If you would like some background on the Independence War history of Mezcala Island and the nearby fishing village of the same name, check this out: http://cookjmex.blogspot.com/2008/02/mezcala-doorway-to-dramatic-history.html It will give you some appreciation about what you are seeing when you visit.

I also strongly recommend a visit to the little museum on the plaza in Mezcala. It is on the side directly opposite the church.

If you read up a bit about the history of the island and you visit the museum you don't really need a guide. Just go down to the water and arrange a ride.

I'd definitely recommend a guide unless you want to convince the two cops (who are like park rangers) on the island to let you through without one. If you don't have a guide, you're supposed to go to an office in Mezcala and get a permit to visit the island. This is what we were told by the cops when I went to the island with a few people in May. There was a good cop, and a bad cop. Bad Cop is the one you've have to convince to let you through without a permit/guide. :-) Also, brand new bathrooms have been installed on the island near the pier for all to use.

Archived