Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone shipped a moving container with household goods?

Garth

Guest bennie2

symie movers in guad. find out what comp they use up north. (these comps do corporate moves in general). then seymi will pick up @ border & deliever. mine was only 10 days total. 1/2 container. they pack everyting too. make sure they UNpack before you pay the rest.

Moved here in 2002 with a 40 foot container from Houston. Movers Lakeside had the container dropped at our house there and we had 3 days to fill it. We ended up with 6 or 8 feet unused. I think there was one broken glass and other than that the service was excellent and not grossly expensive, but that was 13 years ago. They sent everything to our SA house in pick-up truck loads.

We used Lake Chapala Moving and we were very happy. I have never heard anything bad about any of the local movers--who handle international moves. They will coordinate with a mover at your current home, handle the customs and get everything here. In our case, they also arranged storage here until our renovation were done, and then delivered. We had them unpack as well. Make sure you include your menage de casa, sp?. This gives you permission to make a one-time, duty-free move and it is associated with your non-tourist visa. Your mover here will know all about it and tell you what to do.

Strom White moved our stuff down from California in 2010, and we were quite happy with them. As ajijiccharlie said, the local companies seem very competent. They contract with professional movers NOB for the pick-up and packing. (If you want your stuff insured, you have to let them pack it.) The Lakeside moving companies will provide you with good info (regulations, laws, etc.) and moving advice.

We used Strom White to coordinate a move that involved a transPacific move + US items from storage, all combined to be delivered here. Everything went on without a glitch. No breakages, all in good ahape. They have my recommendation.

My recommendation would be to contact Strom White for an estimate for your move from FL to their warehouse in Laredo and then from Laredo to here. Theresa is very knowledgeable and helpful.

For us, our US storage was in central Florida and our shipment from Asia came in at Long Beach.

We maybe could have saved a couple hundred bucks on the FL portion of the move if we had physically been present in FL, rented and packed the U Haul ourselves, and then made the drive to Laredo, but it was NOT worth it.

From the moment they start the work with you, your items are insured and tracked. If you drop your lovely piece of antique furniture or break the dishware, you are out of luck ! It's a long drive from FL to Laredo.

Give them a call or an email and check out your options. Every situation is different.

Archived