Chapala.com Webboard

MagicJack Problem Fixed

A lot of people living here use Magic Jack with varying levels of success. I had a problem with the service that was fixed in a couple of minutes using the online chat on their web site. If this happens to you here's how to fix it.

The problem occurs when dialing an 800 number that sends you to an automated attendant system, normally starting with "Press 1 for English". You press 1 and it doesn't register. No tones register at all even when trying to press zero for an operator.

The problem is what they call the DTMF level which is the technical name for the tone generated pressing a key on a telephone. The level is too low for the other end to pick it up.

If you use those keywords in a chat they'll ask you to unplug the unit while the level is updated and then ask you to reconnect and test the change.

This happened using a Magic Jack device plugged into a Telmex router.

I've also read that if the person on the other end of the call hears beeps every so often like a conversation is being recorded, it's the same problem in reverse. The DTMF levels are too high.

A lot of people living here use Magic Jack with varying levels of success. I had a problem with the service that was fixed in a couple of minutes using the online chat on their web site. If this happens to you here's how to fix it.

The problem occurs when dialing an 800 number that sends you to an automated attendant system, normally starting with "Press 1 for English". You press 1 and it doesn't register. No tones register at all even when trying to press zero for an operator.

The problem is what they call the DTMF level which is the technical name for the tone generated pressing a key on a telephone. The level is too low for the other end to pick it up.

If you use those keywords in a chat they'll ask you to unplug the unit while the level is updated and then ask you to reconnect and test the change.

This happened using a Magic Jack device plugged into a Telmex router.

I've also read that if the person on the other end of the call hears beeps every so often like a conversation is being recorded, it's the same problem in reverse. The DTMF levels are too high.

How do you get on line chat? So far, after three months, we have encountered so many problems in just registering and setting up the darn thing. Last time I checked, in order to get help, you have to register it first. We are totally stuck and don't even have a phone number yet.

In order to chat you have to activate your device and have a valid login user id and password.

It's been a while but in order to get the device to work you had to plug it into a PC via USB and let the software detect the device. You do that by going to the main page and then click Activate. Once the device has been detected you can pick your phone number and once activated it's ready to go..

Archived