Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone Recycling Locally

texmextwo

Yes, I recycle all paper, plastic, glass, cans and deliver it to a private drop off place in Ajijic. They used to pick up

but with gas prices that got too expensive. They have other drop off places but I do not know where that is. There was an article in the Guad. Reporter many months ago about this.

I heard that the garbage men will take the recycle materials and they can get a little extra cash for them. So we put washed plastic, cans, bottles, etc. and cardboard in a separate bag from the dirty trash so that it is easy for them to separate and recycle. (I agree with the advice not to put any sharp edges in those bags.) It allows us to recycle painlessly and it allows them a little extra cash. Win-win in my book if indeed it is true that they can earn cash.

Yes, indeed the "trash guys" separate recyclables then take these to a site in Iztlahuacan to be paid for them. It`s often impossible for them to get at all the recyclables buried in trash so separately bagging them (even putting all recyclables in one bag is better than no separation) helps keep recover the recyclables and keep them out of the trash dump in Chapala, the end of the line.

Article from the GDL Reporter:

In Riberas, turn on Calle San Lucas(where the pizza restaurant house is on the corner).

Go down towards the lake and the 3rd street down is San Marcos.

Turn right on San Marcos and go to #226 on the left side of the street. Make sure you put it in plastic bags and you don't need to separate it. I just leave the bag outside the house along the wall. Tuesday and Saturday, 8 - 2:00pm.

I go about every 2 weeks. Sure cuts down on picked up garbage.

(cans, plastic and glass, paper and carboard)

Just put the recyclables in clear plastic bags and out at the curb. The bags will be gone the next time you look.

In Ajijic I leave my recycled stuff at a house on Juarez. You do not have to separate anything but I do separate the plastic into a separate bag and leave the paper/cardboard, glass, cans together in another bag.

Juarez is the last street with a traffic light as you leave Ajijic heading west....or the first light you come to as you come into Ajijic from the Joco direction. Heading west you would make a right turn up the hill. Heading east you can make a legal left turn at the light again up the hill.

The house is difficult to find because there is no sign and no visable address. It took me 3 tries but it really is easy.

As you turn at the light and head up the hill you go past the first very short block. The house is on the right sort of in the middle of the next block. It has a BRIGHT BLUE GATE (remember right side). The house immediately across from it is #43 Juarez. You can leave your recycled stuff Monday through Friday. The street is very narrow but any non-Texas size vehicle can manage it. You just have stop in front of the house, blocking the street, and go into the open carport with your bags. If the gate is closed I just drop my bags over the top.

Plastic (even buckets), cardboard, paper of all kinds (except books), aluminum is recycled here. Glass is not recycled lakeside. It is considered trash. I have heard you can take glass to the Tonala glass-making facility but am not sure about that.

Archived