Chapala.com Webboard

OPA Mediterranian Fusion restaurant

artsnob

A new restaurant has opened down the street from Ocampo/Constitution intersection, #2, Had a Greek salad the way it is supposed to be made with Greek olves, spices, Feta cheese and great dressing, The owner chef Thayne Madrid is doing traditional sandwiches with choice of meats A nice change for something different and tasty

Whatever happened to him? Did he go back to California or did the owner of the restaurant he worked at there come down and repossess the menu he borrowed? I agree that was a nice place to dine at.

So I am to understand it took over the Churros Y Chocolate location?

It's on Morelos, one door down from the corner of Constitución. Where the Churros y Chocolate place was for about two months.

Whatever happened to him? Did he go back to California or did the owner of the restaurant he worked at there come down and repossess the menu he borrowed? I agree that was a nice place to dine at.

jose of "jose's illusion" got tired of dealing with customers and opened an abrotes in chapala up on the hill...his brother is raoul--riki of japanese/thai fame.

We ate at Opa on Friday and it was VERY tasty! Everything was made with fresh ingredients and tasted truly authentic. The place is a bit small, with 5-6 tables, but it is nicely decorated in traditional blue and white and is quite comfortable.

We started with an order of hummus, a generous serving for only 35 pesos, which came drizzled with olive oil and warm, toasted pita bread. We also had an order of excellent spanakopita, which has a flaky phyllo crust stuffed with spinach and cheese, also only 35 pesos for two pieces. We shared a Greek salad that was excellent and big enough for two. It was 60 pesos (I think).

By the time our orders of lamb souvlaki came out, we were already starting to feel pleasantly stuffed. The souvlaki is not served on skewers, but instead is served in a soft pita wrap that is packed with marinaded, grilled meat--lamb, beef, chicken, or falafel for the vegetarians, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and drizzled with tzatziki sauce. There were also a few french fries thrown in on top, which we have seen in other Greek restaurants, and which we removed and only nibbled on because we were getting so stuffed. The very large and delicious souvlaki wrap was 79 pesos (I think).

I should have taken better notes given that many are price sensitive, but I was too busy enjoying the great food! We will be back soon, so I'll try to remember to snap a picture of their menu. The menu is somewhat limited right now, but they will be adding specials soon. You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. ;-)

The owner/chef Thayne Madrid is very warm, personable, and welcoming as is Paulina who waits tables. To drink, we had the Pale Ale from local craft brewer Corazón de Malta (http://corazondemalta.com/acerca-de/). These cost 50 pesos each, which for the artesanal quality I feel is a bargain. If you aren't into beer, you might want to try their peach, rosemary, and mint infused water.

You can find Opa on Facebook, plus see some pictures and more information, at https://www.facebook.com/opa.bistro?fref=ts.

As artsnob pointed out, they are open Thurs-Sun noon to 8 pm.

333-948-4253

I predict great success for Opa! Give them a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Went once, enjoyed it, Thane is a nice guy. A little pricey for lunch, but maybe not depending on how happy you are to get a souvlaki after perhaps many years. The peach infused water was mild and pleasant at 9 pesos, but the lemongrass water was almost tasteless for 20p. Pretty healthy, though, both drinks. I wanted a bit more zing in my tzatziki sauce. That was a few weeks ago, and Thayne is a friend of a family member, so I figured I'd give him some time before jumping on him with suggestions.

I'm glad their menu is relatively small as it will be easier to work my way through it, which I fully intend to do. Today I consumed a small Greek salad, falafel souvlaki, 1/4 of my husband's beef souvlaki, baklava, and an espresso. My only complaint it that I'd prefer a softer, pillowy, pita bread. Other than that, everything was divine, especially the beef, which was packed with a scrumptious citrus flavor.

I also enjoyed chatting with Thayne, and Paulina is a doll.

I hope they stay around for a very long time!

I love souvlaki. I went into Opa hoping to find really good souvlaki.. It wasn't! very good. It was GREAT. I had the lamb souvlaki. The meat was tender and the sauce very good. The pita was stuffed and after I ate my souvlaki, so was I. Can't wait to go back.

• 2 years later...

Ah, but two things: one, the question was asked if the place is still around, considering the original date of the thread suggested that it might not be, and two, I know lots of chat admins who will spend a good deal of time remembering and digging up old threads, and moving your question to it, as a way to "keep things tidy", and so that readers can see everything that led to that point.

Archived