Chapala.com Webboard

Encampments at Ajijic Malecon

lscsmx

in the last few days there have been people living in tents at the Ajijic malecon at the very east end next to the pier. At first I saw one small one with a family living in it and today there are two more very large ones. One is just a bunch of blankets over tree branches. I have seen them in the past on the very west end of the malecon during Easter vacations but never like this right in front of the restaurants. I am concerned about the aesthetics of the malecon, of course, but also about the safety factor if this gets out of hand. Does anyone have a suggestion about who we can contact about it?

Thx!

It appears they are travelers who have set up a sweat lodge (on the beach) and a massage table (on the malecon) and seem to be living in tents pitched near the temazcal (sweat lodge) and they are selling these services. I'm guessing they won't be there long since I am down there twice a day and have not seen them have a customer. Alan

Ooops, can't let this slide by.......

Travellers (Pavees) are Irish, not Romani Gypsies.

Used to be called tinkers but no longer p.c.

Correct,I had a couple of them come by offering to reseal my driveway at a discount due to them having extra material from a supposed job they were doing in the neighborhood..

Not very original given that the movie (Travellers) had just come out featuring the same scam.

Guest bennie2

are these people mexicano. if they were hippy americanos you would be all over this. do they have a massage license? do they have a spa certification? what about work permits?

It was busy down there today. There was a running event through town and the post-race festivities were at the lake.

I think the people who've set up the temazcal are Huicholes, either that or garden-variety hippies with access to an excellent costume shop. It's pretty common to see a temazcal on the lakeshore during vacation time, and guess what time it is right now. If the past is any indication, it will disappear before too many foreign sphincters get too tightly clenched. ;)

Guest bennie2

barbower, re read the post. IF these folks were not mexican, the everyone would be on it. permits license certifications taxes backround check.

Bennie, I'm sure they are Mexicanos but not gypsies and I'm also sure they don't have licenses for anything. Being libertarian, I'm surprised you'd care if they had any government certification...Alan

You need to reread what bennie wrote. You did not respond to what she wrote. :(

are these people mexicano. if they were hippy americanos you would be all over this. do they have a massage license? do they have a spa certification? what about work permits?

A lot of questions for something that if it is that important, might require you making a trip down to the malecon to investigate.

Guest bennie2

there are no roma in the US/mex. they are in europe. they arrived from india or egypt about 1000 yrs aback or more. in any event these folks here are native indian. cant blame them for earning a living.

there are no roma in the US/mex. they are in europe. they arrived from india or egypt about 1000 yrs aback or more. in aby event these folks here are native indian. cant blame them for earning a living.

"There is a significant Roma population in Mexico, most being the descendants of previous migrants. According to data collected by the Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía, they numbered 15,850, however, the total number is likely larger. In Mexico, they are commonly known as gitanos or rom."

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people_in_Mexico

I have seen and met many in Veracruz.

A lot of questions for something that if it is that important, might require you making a trip down to the malecon to investigate.

You need to reread what bennie wrote as you did not respond to what she wrote. :(

You need to reread what bennie wrote as you did not respond to what she wrote. :(

Now just how am I supposed to respond?......since I can't answer all her questions.

I responded in my own inimitable way. Reread?.....once was enough.

"There is a significant Roma population in Mexico, most being the descendants of previous migrants. According to data collected by the Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía, they numbered 15,850, however, the total number is likely larger. In Mexico, they are commonly known as gitanos or rom."

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people_in_Mexico

I have seen and met many in Veracruz.

Sure is..........

and you didn't have to go Vera Cruz years ago to see them, as there were a significant bunch "working" the parking lot at the Abastos market in Guad.

tents on the beach are allowed on the coast during holidays....

One of my Mexican neighbors gets together with extended family once or twice a year and heads for one of the less crowded beaches, where they camp out on the beach for a week.

Cheaper, and fun.

Now just how am I supposed to respond?......since I can't answer all her questions.

I responded in my own inimitable way. Reread?.....once was enough.

You didn't even read it correctly the first time. Bennie did not ASK any questions to be answered. I know you must be smarter than you indicate, you were just probably assuming something else, right? Careful about that "assume". :( If you need someone to help you to read it and tell you what it says, please just ask. :)

Archived