Chapala.com Webboard

One thing Ajijic/Chapala Ex-Pats miss the most?

Kurbie

In Singapore, shrimp were swimming in a tank in the dining room until you ordered. Then someone from the kitchen would come out and scoop up the needed shrimp. That was fresh. They got fresher, however. In the East Coast Parkway restaurants, drunken shrimp were very popular. Live shrimp were brought to the table and soaked in some liquor. The would wriggle around for a few minutes before being flamed and served.

Last week I ordered a shrimp dish in Mexico City that was as good as the shrimp in Singapore. It had been 18 years since we lived in Singapore but I could still recognize the taste of a truly fresh shrimp.

Back to the original post, I don't really miss anything from the US, but I miss the pumpkins, fennel, barramundi, and lamb from Australia. I miss the scallop pies from Tasmania. I miss the bluff oysters from New Zealand. I miss the breakfast croissants and the chocolates from Antwerp. Most of all, I miss the incredible Chinese and Indian food from Singapore. I worked around and I lived around.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived