Chapala.com Webboard

One thing Ajijic/Chapala Ex-Pats miss the most?

Kurbie

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see what I really miss:

$168 speeding ticket for doing 45 in a 35 MPH zone

$80 a month cell phone bill

$5 a pack cigarettes

24 hour restaurants that serve breakfast all day

Dinos Pizza and salads

The NSA and everyone else recording my phone calls

High medical bills with lousy attention

Like Sue, we plan a 1 day shopping trip NOB. Mostly food items we can't find here (like molasses) except at Superlake for 4 times the normal cost. We keep a list on the fridge we add to as necessary. Would rather NOT cross the border but once a year doesn't hurt too bad.

Regional food and drink from NOB. 24 hour restaurants (and lots of really good restaurants to choose from). Highways that are really good and have excellent lights and markings at night. Blue Bell ice cream (there is no other brand) ! A "real" Walmart, an HEB, and Bluebonnets. JCPenneys. The "giant" rotisserie" chickens at Sam's for $4.95.

No narco blockades, no problems driving from one place to another. Regional dairies with homemade ice cream (Boston MA area). Tulips and daffodils and iris. Heirloom tomatoes and sweet corn at roadside farm stands in all directions. CLAMS! LOBSTER! Bluefish! But I have gotten over all this. After almost 10 years, memories are fading. I am at home.

Mostly food items we can't find here (like molasses) except at Superlake for 4 times the normal cost. We keep a list on the fridge we add to as necessary.

FWIW...

I'm certain I've bought molasses at El Torito in the past, and I'm almost certain I've bought it at Walmart. Don't know how price compares to NOB, and everyday availability is always a crap shoot, but Superlake isn't the only place to look.

Fresh San Francisco sour dough bread. Long loaf, dark char on the crispy crust.

Yep, that'll do it.

The thing about distinct flavors of fondly remembered food... there is no substitute for the real thing. And once you get the idea in your head, it might not go away for days. I mean, you can suffer is what we're talking about here.

We're in B.C. for our son's wedding and having the whole family here reminds me how much I miss my family. After 10 years of living at Lakeside it's a feeling that will never leave.

Sure, I miss certain foods that are super expensive at Lakeside but I can live with that.

Blue Bell ice cream (there is no other brand) !

Blue Bell ice cream is unavailable NOB, been off the market for months.

It was contaminated with listeria.

Google "Blue Bell ice cream recall" for a world of info.

Archived