Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic potholes

HarryB

Ajijic Delegado Hector Espana Ramos has been informed that workers have become available from Chapala to fix potholes as they do not have materials to work with in Chapala. Hector has advised me that we can have these workers if we purchase the materials for them to work with? Anyone interested?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't the new administration take office in October, right after the end of the rainy season when the potholes could have a more permanent fix lasting possibly until the rains return in June? Is it remotely possible that the new administration, in a gesture of good will to the short changed residents of Ajijic, might actually pay for both material and labor and the Ajijic community would not be asked yet one more time to pay for repairs that are not their responsibility? I think I am willing to take the risk and wait.

Taxes have more than doubled in 7 years, 30 percent hike last year alone. Funny but even 5 years ago the guys would come around twice per year and fix all the pot holes. And we had guys keeping the streets clean too.

Now, no mas. Somehow despite jacking up taxes at three times the rate of inflation, there's no money for the basic services we used to have.

Where has all the money from rapidly increasing property taxes gone? That's the question, isn't it?

Stop the "disappearing" money going into the Chapala "government" rat hole and maybe we wouldn't have to pay twice for the same services.

Sorry but I'm not inclined to give these thieves any more money. We've got some folks around here that despite all the evidence to the contrary actually still think the contrary. I suggest they are the logical targets for yet another collection.

Yep, once you give for materials, then you will always be on the "hook". They know what they are doing, and they know what you will do. They "gotcha" !

My taxes have doubled also but over the last 2 years. By US standards they are still cheap but somehow Chapala had money for road repair before all these new tax increases fueled by Google Street View. Where did the money go is a good question.

Like the previous posters I agree that falling into this trap will just be the beginning of future requests for cash to provide basic city services.

if chapala local government can afford to erect half a dozen wierd looking statues on the malecon they can afford to do repairs in ajijic.they need to get priorities right.why is it always the residents of ajijic being asked to donate, there has never been a post asking chapala residents to cough up for repairs etc.

IMO, asking for this money is outrageous. No excuse.

If my neighbors in Guadalajara were asked for money to repair potholes they would just laugh,usually if it's a particularly bad pothole one of the neighbors fills it in with escombro/debris as a temporary fix until the government gets around to repairing it.

HarryB...I have a question for you. Is this an unusual request from the municipal government? Seems to me this is how the wheelchair ramps were installed at street corners; the city supplied the workers and the citizenry supplied the materials. And who paid for the tires for that garbage truck that was out of service due to bald tires?

Folks they need cement. Cement costs money. Chapala has no money due to trying to pay down debt. They will supply us with labor if we supply materials. I have already pledged 500P to Harry by PM. I get your point about money folks but if we don't fill the pot holes no one will. We are already filling them ourselves in Los Salvias and we pay labor and materials both. For you folks who can't afford to help I understand that but others buy them some cement if you can afford it. Money to Harry always goes where it is suppose to!! I trust Harry B. Also some of you folks don't understand that money for art and such comes from grants not taxes. I understand the frustration folks might feel but lets fix the holes while we have free labor as the damage to our cars and folks falling is expensive and dangerous.

chapala has money to buy cement to build plinths for these new statues, so why not for ajijic repairs ?

You're comparing apples to red herrings. Chapala receives funds from state and federal agencies for specific projects, including the "plinths" along the malecon. It is illegal to use these funds for municipal projects such as filling potholes. To do so would be considered a misappropriation of public funds...diverting funds from their intended use.

Guest bennie2

same old same old same old. its a tradition in the americanao culture. mex gov knows this. most expats open the wallets no questions asked. (mexicans are smarter). they seem to think its their responsibility. go figure. even if the taxes were 500% higher, the hustle lives on. its always "the admnistration this", "the administration that", blahblahblah, its bush! blame bush. going on for since my relatives came here in late 1980s. mexico is a wealthy nation. the politicans do fine, the $ is there. even if i was a billionare, i wouldnt give 3 cents. the same sidewalks are missing or have big holes. let them pay for their own cement. who cares if their in debt? so? so what? im not a on the other hand, its your $ not mine.

I too wonder where the tax money went.

I hope we can monitor the incoming admin and make them do better. BUT< that requires more than just me getting off my ### and demanding results.

In this case we are getting the workers because Chapala doesn't have the materials to keep them working.

A number of folks have responded. Tempesque will be the first street addressed. The Las Salvias area has been the most responsive so they get the workers first. I will personally receive all donations and purchase all materials. Receipts available for donor review upon request. If we raise more than we need refunds will be made on a percentage basis.

You're comparing apples to red herrings. Chapala receives funds from state and federal agencies for specific projects, including the "plinths" along the malecon. It is illegal to use these funds for municipal projects such as filling potholes. To do so would be considered a misappropriation of public funds...diverting funds from their intended use.

So maybe none of us knew the "plinths" were specifically targeted under "state and federal funds", and maybe that turns out to be not the best example. We have to assume you knew that, although how I won't even ask. You're casting the subject in the wrong direction, because there are certainly local taxes and they are most definitely supposed to be used here. Rampant malfeasance on the part of many, not just the most recent, municipal governments is keeping the coffers empty, as they pay back previous loans and misdirect local (and no doubt other) taxes. Talk about misappropriation and diverting funds.

Archived