Chapala.com Webboard

High vs Low Pressure Solar Water System

I've been reading all the posts that I can find about Solar Hot Water Systems, and I have been doing some googling but I'm confused. I want to put in a solar hot water system. Someone was recommended to do the install but when he came to the house he said that the unit I had been looking at would not work because I need a High Pressure System. Of course, the cost for that was something like 4 times the cost of the "regular" system.

I tried to ask him why I need this high pressure system but he wasn't clear. Just said a regular system would not work for me. I don't think he was jerking me around, but before I invest $1,000 in a unit and install I want to understand why I'm paying more for the system!

Can someone on this group explain the difference to me?

Also, has anyone had experience with this Green Home brand of solar units?

We have solar hot water system. We did have some problems but seem to be ironed out now. We do not have a pressure system and we do not want one, but they eventually had to raise the tinaco so it was above the solar tank and now since they raised the tinaco 1 meter it has been working so much better.

I would not want a pressure system since the savings in gas would be put into the electric for the pump.

Can't tell you about the company because they went out of business.

I think 'Go Solar' would be the best one to answer your question here.

But to put it in a nutshell if you have a gravity fed water system then you can get by with a gravity or low pressure solar unit. In other words, if you have a tinaco or water tank on your roof and it is not a pressurized system then you can use a low pressure or gravity fed solar hot water unit.

But if you have a pressurized water system then you need a solar unit that can handle the water pressure, and those are more expensive. I don't believe they are 4 times more expensive, more like twice as expensive. But either way in this sunny climate solar is the way to go.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

We have solar  hot water I just  got  a larger one  a few weeks  ago the  reason you need  a pressure  tank  is  because you  have a pressure system for  your house. I have  a solar  system  for  sale  it is 12 tubes & 115 liter tank it is good  for 3or 4 people I can show you the way we hooked  ours up it is very easy & It  is nice  to cut  out a lot of gas .The reason we changed to a large unit  is  more people  come to see us in  the winter months . there is nothing  wrong with  the older unit 7 I will sell it  for  $ 300.00 US, or whatever the peso is  that  day . the brand is thermos .call  if you want to see the unit  or just  want to  see & learn.7664973

1 hour ago, jmj21 said:

We have solar  hot water I just  got  a larger one  a few weeks  ago the  reason you need  a pressure  tank  is  because you  have a pressure system for  your house. I have  a solar  system  for  sale  it is 12 tubes & 115 liter tank it is good  for 3or 4 people I can show you the way we hooked  ours up it is very easy & It  is nice  to cut  out a lot of gas .The reason we changed to a large unit  is  more people  come to see us in  the winter months . there is nothing  wrong with  the older unit 7 I will sell it  for  $ 300.00 US, or whatever the peso is  that  day . the brand is thermos .call  if you want to see the unit  or just  want to  see & learn.7664973

Since you have something for sale, put it in the classified section.  PS Pulling up a FOUR YEAR OLD post that has NOTHING to do with you selling a solar hot water system is a bit silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Since you have something for sale, put it in the classified section.  PS Pulling up a FOUR YEAR OLD post that has NOTHING to do with you selling a solar hot water system is a bit silly.

It is not at all silly. It is a clever way to get the item you are selling into the most widely read forum where stuff for sale is not allowed. 

• Haha 1