Chapala.com Webboard

New "Tequila" Restaurant

CHILLIN

A shiny new restaurant has sprung up next to Tio Sam's appliance store on the Libramento. It is not in the Plaza, but on the lot next door. It looks moderately upscale and seems to be already open. The name of it is two words, one of which is "Tequila". The Vancouver Wings is now complete with a Canadian flag inspired gate. It seems to catering to a mostly Mexican crowd and I wonder if the "Tequila" restaurant will be the same? No advertising in the English language papers.

Open everyday except Monday noon to 10. May close earlier on Sunday depending upon business. Nice, fairly upscale little place with Mexican food items not found here. Menu prices range from 60 to about 150 with flank steak and a couple of other meat items a little higher. Did not inquire about alcohol, but they do have a nice bar.

I think it is a "sucursal" of La Estancia Gaucha, a long time favorite restaurant of many on Nino Heroes in Guadalajara. If so, we can scratch that from the list of possibilities for the Ajijic malecon location. Vancouver Wings is already located so that rules them out.

Guadalajara South is growing fast.

It would be interesting to know if this eatery is even remotely connected to La Estancia Gaucha. This long established GDL Argentine style steak house on Ninos Heroes and for the past 3 or 4 years a second very large and upscale location in the Punto Sao Paulo plaza directly adjoining the NH Hotel. (Considered one of the most upscale and high rent locations in Providencia.) If they are connected to La Estancia Gaucha the appearance of this little eatery, in every aspect, would only be "first class" and....one would suspect that there would have been considerable advance notice of the opening.

We ate at Gaucho Tequila yesterday, and the food was amazing! I had their version of a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich with fries, and my partner had the beef tenderloin, cooked to perfection! The steak was so tender and flavourful.....DELICIOUS! Along with the meals, we had a glass of their red house wine, which is a cabernet, and a Bohemia Dark beer.

There were many more items on the menu that we want to try, so we will definitely go back again!

Tried Gaucho Tequila for lunch today and was quite impressed. Very nice decor and very good food, well priced. My wife had two beef tacos and I had the che philly torta, which is essentially a philly cheese steak(but better). We also ordered a bowl of beans. Because their food items are argentinian style the flavors were different than what we normally get with local mexican food. Plenty of different sauces available but we found them unnecessary since the meats were so flavorful on their own. We left very full and satisfied.

They also serve several varieties of steaks and chicken which I am told is very good. We will try that the next time we are out for dinner. P.S. This place is for us carnivores and not health food enthusiasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Been there twice. Ordered the smallest steak that was veyr big. And very rare. Second trip I had the first appetizer on the menu and that was perfect for my appetite (small) toke 1/3 home. You have to ask for postres ! I ordered flan my fav!!! And it was a wow presentation. They should bring their potrres offerings on a tray to the table and they would sell more!

Yes hot inside the grill generated heat.

The menu descriptions needs .work! Sides need work their fries frozen need work!

Staff very gracious they could use a host.

It's small low budget operation.

Concern I have is the wooden platters meals are served on. How sanitary are they ?

Wooden cutting boards shown to be safer than plastic. Salmonella gets lost in the deep grooves in wood and dies, but stays near the surface of plastic board cuts, which are very difficult to clean out. And then they multiply.

I just saw Computer Guy's post about the wooden platters VS plastic. Very true, but certainly not intuitive. I remember when the first story came out about the safety thing. A student in some class was told that it was better to use

plastic than wood. He got several of each and started testing. At first he thought he had done it wrong. After

several days he took the results to his instructor, who didn't believe it either. After confirming the results, they

wanted to find out why. Initial results indicated that it was an ingredient in the wood and the fact that bacteria

remained on and in the surface of the plastic unless you hit it with steam. I have no idea how long that misconception

had been around. I think there are a lot of places in the world where meat is served on wooden platters.

• 1 month later...

We tried going to it a couple of weeks ago but they were "closed for remodeling" that long ago. Hope they re-open soon.

BTW - we could park right by the front door, no steps between the paking place and the front door, but since we never got inside the door, can't speak about easy access to the interior....

Archived