Chapala.com Webboard

TR / PR Entering Mexico as a Tourist (FMM)

Sonia

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When crossing the Mexican border of course you need your original. Otherwise a certified copy will suffice.

I asked about this 2 times when at our local INM office on different occasions and both times the INM officers stated: "No copies will be accepted, only your "tarjeta de Migración" is the valid form of documention we want to see".

Why do folks continue to insist on carrying copies? They are invalid, no good, not accepted, may be considered criminal forgeries, and it would be foolish to ever show a copy to a federal official for any reason. Keep a copy at home for reference, in case you lose the original, but foreigners are required to carry the original and to show it to federal officials upon request; right then, not with an excuse that you left it at home.

I know several people who lost their visa locally, when not traveling. I know of no one who ever had a legitimate request to show their visa when local. When traveling by air or long distances I recommend carrying your visa. How many on here have lost a visa? How many. when within say an hour of lakeside had a legitimate request to show their visa and if they did where you "criminal"? :-)

The is a lot of effort, time and cost to replace a lost visa.

Buen Fin

Sonia

• 1 year later...

I just lost my wallet with my permanente and curp while in the US.  I am scheduled to fly back to Mexico in a few days.  There is no time to go to the consulate.  What to do?  Can't they just check their computers to verify my status?

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

I just lost my wallet with my permanente and curp while in the US.  I am scheduled to fly back to Mexico in a few days.  There is no time to go to the consulate.  What to do?  Can't they just check their computers to verify my status?

The cases I am familiar with, were all made to enter as a tourist and that is what they were until they went back to a MX consulate and started over. If you were driving it would be easier.

I have seen some INM computer screens and they are detailed in monitoring one's activity in this area.

34 minutes ago, Sonia said:

The cases I am familiar with, were all made to enter as a tourist and that is what they were until they went back to a MX consulate and started over. If you were driving it would be easier.

I have seen some INM computer screens and they are detailed in monitoring one's activity in this area.

I can provide a copy or the numbers of these documents.  Shouldn't that allow the to identify my status?

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

I can provide a copy or the numbers of these documents.  Shouldn't that allow the to identify my status?

From my experience they have not allowed that to happen in past. Maybe Spencer has advice.

I know of two cases where people used copies and they took the copy and made persons enter as tourist. 

My friend here in San Luis Potosi didn´t get his RT card back when booking a tour from a tour company in PV in June. The next morning he was at the PV airport flying back to SLP and noticed the guy only returned his credit card and not his INM RT visa. 2 weeks later he was flying from here to Dallas and onto Louisville Ky. and the private security guard at the SLP airport for American Airlines wouldn´t let him board the plane with no INM document. He went to the INM office at the airport and they told him he cannot leave the country by plane and needs to go to the main INM office to arrange for a new RT card first.

The INM office gave hm a "permiso de salida y regreso" after he applied for a new card under the "tramite" - "processing a lost card" right away and he was able to travel  2 days later.  I asked him: " You had 2 weeks to apply for a lost card and get the permission to exit and return, why didn´t you?" He said: "I didn´t know the rules and assumed I could use my US passport to travel back home". It cost him the loss of 1/2 his $900 USD plane ticket to find out the rules. American Airlines would´t refund the cost, $450 USD, of the flight they wouldn´t let him board. He had a photo of his RT card on his smart phone and both the security guard and INM offcer said "no good" we need the card. 

On 8/15/2015 at 9:55 AM, Sonia said:

If one looses card when outside of Mexico what INM says is you are to go to a MX consulate outside of Mexico. That may not be practical but it is their advice.

In the several cases I am aware of, the person did not have / show a TR / PR visa when entering Mexico. Much easier if driving as simply enter visa places such as Laredo and do not go to INM as I noted.

Sonia

What does the Consulate do at at that time to help remedy the situation?

Spencer had a kind of "cheat sheet" containing instructions to a Mexican Consulate on how to issue a travel document to be presented to the INM agent at the port of entry allowing a foreigner to re-enter Mexico without being re-classified as a tourist. Regretfully, I can't attach the PDF file to this post, but the title of the document in Spanish is: Expedición de visa por robo, extravío o destrucción de tarjeta que acredita condición de estancia.

Here's a link to Spencer's blog with more info:

http://www.chapalalaw.com/if-you-lose-your-mexican-immigration-card-outside-mexico/

-- Don

Zeb, I have the issue here and the link on how to resolve as stated by the Mexican Embassy.

Steps are painful and if far from a MX consulate even worse.

I have known people who simply went to a MX consulate and started over.

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

best

Sonia

Thanks Don and Sonia.  I appreciate the advice and help.  I have printed the two page document of the regulations as to how the Consulate is to handle the lost Permanente Card.  I am pulling together the items that are required and will go there as soon as they open on Tuesday.  Obviously, I have no appointment and my flight is to be Wednesday morning.  I hope these people have some heart and sensitivity to my situation.

This whole scenario and the regulations create such difficulties for people in my position and really there is no reason for this other than to collect more money.  They have computers with all our data.  With my valid passport and their database, there should be no need to put people through this type of thing.  I have been running around getting passport photo, copies, police report, etc. on just a couple of days prior to my scheduled flight.  I have so much stress from this as well as other personal more important issues.  This just adds to misery.   What a mess.

I noticed the link provided from Spencer has slightly different information.

Sonia's link has this among the info "Foreigners who experience the theft, loss or destruction of their temporary or permanent residence card while abroad, must file a Request for Replacement at the closest Mexican Embassy or Consulate. Issuance of this visa will depend on the authorization of the National Migration Institute.

Once the foreigner has the corresponding authorization, s/he must make an appointment at the consular office and attend in person with the following documentation:"

This paragraph confuses me somewhat as I already have pulled together all the documents, so I am not clear if I need some type of authorization before providing them.

Zeb since you are running out of time my advice is just take what you have. There is nothing you can do now to change the situation. I would appreciate feedback when completed and you are back. Wishing you the best.

saludos

Sonia

41 minutes ago, Sonia said:

Zeb since you are running out of time my advice is just take what you have. There is nothing you can do now to change the situation. I would appreciate feedback when completed and you are back. Wishing you the best.

saludos

Sonia

Thank you Sonia.  I will do that and pray for the best.  I do so much appreciate your kindness. I will post the outcome.

Based on new feedback in a few rare cases in your situation the person when they arrived in Mexico rather than getting a tourist card pleaded their cased and Immigration pulled up their information and was allowed to enter. Not common but it is worth trying depending on your outcome tomorrow. 

If you wanted to prepare for the worse case scenario for tomorrow at the consulate, take 6 months of financials, the form completed, your passport and seek pre-approval as a back up. Here is the form: http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/toronto/images/Consulado/visaform2015.pdf  Other requirements on my web site.

best

Sonia

On 9/5/2016 at 9:26 AM, Sonia said:

Based on new feedback in a few rare cases in your situation the person when they arrived in Mexico rather than getting a tourist card pleaded their cased and Immigration pulled up their information and was allowed to enter. Not common but it is worth trying depending on your outcome tomorrow. 

If you wanted to prepare for the worse case scenario for tomorrow at the consulate, take 6 months of financials, the form completed, your passport and seek pre-approval as a back up. Here is the form: http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/toronto/images/Consulado/visaform2015.pdf  Other requirements on my web site.

best

Sonia

Here's the update of what happened.  I went to the Consulate in Texas and could not get in without an appointment.  I was told to go on line and request one.  I did so.  As my flight was the next day, I just entered Mexico.  Immigration people were quite nice, however, said they simply could not let me in on Permanente status without my card.  They were quite adamant that I would not lose my status if I went to INM upon my arrival and requested a replacement card.  They said INM should then call the airport and they could correct my status at the airport.  I did get two people's names.

Any advice here would be appreciated.  I'd like to know if this information is accurate.

I am editing this post to give a bit more information.  I did hear from the Consulate the next day via e-mail stating they could help, a list of documents I needed, and that it would take five days.

Thanks for update. Did you then enter as a tourist and complete a FMM as such and INM recorded you as a tourist?

The INM office in SMA would say you if you entered as a tourist and that is now your status. 

Fingers crossed.

Final out come would be appreciated.

good luck

Sonia

32 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I completed the two documents the airline provided.  One was for Aduana and the other form they normally hand you and tear off the bottom part.  I always write PERMANENTE across the top.

Question: Was the airport you flew out of in Mexico on the border or in the USA?

Here is the update on the lost Permanente and Curp situation.  For those who have been reading this topic, I lost both prior to returning to Mexico.  I went to INM.  They instructed me to complete a form on line and bring it back to them.  I completed the form they gave me, took it to the bank and paid 1108 pesos.  I returned to INM with a receipt from the bank showing it was paid, as well as the original form I had completed, along with copy of my passport and the original.  I was given an appointment for an interview for the next day.

Next day at the appointment, I was taken to a back office where the clerk took the forms along with the Visa that was given to me upon entry at the airport showing I was entered as a tourist.  She explained that they were instituting some new procedures so people don't have to start the Permanente process all over again.  They are treating the card as being lost in Mexico.  I am to return in about a week to be finger printed and should have my new Permanente in about two more weeks.

I am editing this post to provide some additional information for the next person.  This will save you one trip to INM to get the process started. 

Go to www.inm.gov.mx

Select, Tramites

Select Migracion visa y Pasaporte

Select Condiciones y estancia en Mexico

Select Reposicion de documento migratorio

Reposicion de Documento Migratorio por Perdida, robo o Deterioro.

It is not typed with the proper accents, as I don't yet know how to do that.  My purpose is not perfection, just to be able to save someone else some time.

What good news.

That fits our friend's experience, except he was required to show a police report from the USA, documenting his loss of his Permanente Card.

Glad it all worked out for you,  without jumping through all the advice-hoops that you start over by applying for a new Permanente visa at a Consulate. 

Archived