Chapala.com Webboard

Time Limit for Obtaining Seguro Retorno after becoming Permanente?

ajijicrose

Once one has become a permanente, is there any time limit for removing a US plated vehicle from Mexico? Obviously, said vehicle is not being driven, and a retorno seguro will be applied for. But will there be a problem getting a seguro retorno if more than a few months have passed since becoming permanente?

My husband waited 8 months in this situation.

Buen Fin

Sonia

I've taken one out with a Retorno Seguro that was 3+ months after the fact. The real questions is.... has anyone actually had to USE the RS (has anyone asked for it 'along the way' or at the border) under any circumstances much less many months after the fact. I've probably taken 4 cars out with a RS and have not been 'stopped' or otherwise had to present it to anyone. Now I wouldn't travel without one if the owner is Permanente, but just wondering.

I just picked up one today for a Mexican whose TIP expired over 4 years ago.

When driving to Laredo, my husband was stopped by Federales at a check point and showed his PR visa and not asked to show Retorno Seguro. I know of no one who was asked to show it driving to border and know many who were PR and drove out without getting a RT. Yes, the law says you need a Retorno Seguro will a PR etc.

Since they would not buy our car in Texas even though 3 dealers said they would, he drove back to SMA as a Permanent Resident and we drove the car for months until nationalized.

saludos

Sonia

I have had many people asked for the retorno or their car papers, mainly on the drive between Chapala and Texas, seems to be not as common Chapala to Nogales. Many people do need it for insurance purposes and who needs problems.

Actually guys it is good for 6 business days because the 5 days dont start until the day after the notification takes effect which is the day after the notification (weird tax law math).

When we applied for ours almost 2 years ago it was taking about a week. However, Spencer called us 2 days later and said he they issued it REALLY quickly. We had to leave town faster than we would have liked. You just need to be flexible when you apply for it. Could be a week or just a few days.

It depends on the workload of the SAT office, usually they take 2 to 5 business days.

Archived