Chapala.com Webboard

Rye Bread at SuperLake

ComputerGuy

On Saturday near the back of the store, I noticed a new shape of loaf. Pancho, standing nearby, said "That's centeno." "Um, huh?" "RYE". Well, very infrequently does the store have rye bread in the freezers, so I've been missing it. These loaves were hot out of their ovens. I started eating it in the car! It is delicious. I also snagged some corned beef (just can't get smoked meat here) and made some sandwiches with dill pickle on the side.

So how is the bread, otherwise? It's not like most of the light ryes you'd expect, although it has a great, nutty rye flavour. People who are not particularly fond of rye will probably like this; it's less aggressive. And it's very loose; it falls apart fairly easily due to the large size of the grains used. Either way, I'm happy. I did not ask Pancho if he was introducing it because people were asking for rye, or if he was testing out reactions... I just hope he keeps it going. (Note that Peter Scandanavia bread in the Laguna Mall also has a rye, which is more traditional, but still not like Montreal/New Yawk rye.)

I can't believe I spelled it rye breat in the title. Moderator, please help.

Computer Guy

You've been around long enough to remember Pancho's first crack at rye bread. Wasn't very good bread but it was rye bread. Suddenly, no rye bread. Que pasa pancho? "We couldn't keep it on the shelves so I discontinued it"!

Archived