Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's ribs

dcstroker

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scientific evidence is not an issue. Meat that is falling off the bone would be disqualified in a sanctioned BBQ competition. I think I mentioned that in an earlier post.

If the meat is falling off the bone, a judge would be unable to determine if the meat was actually rib meat. Same with brisket, the slice should be intact and be able to stretch apart like an accordion and not falling apart like pot roast.

Judging standards are just that. And tasting standards may differ from judging standards, just like people's tastes differ.

I'd really like to see the scientific evidence that shows why ribs should not be falling off the bone. pappysmarket, you with me on this?

10-4 Good buddy

Ah, yes, standards are standards, and now we know. So at what point is "falling off the bone" considered "OFF the bone" and unable to be judged? Most of the ribs I get, the meat is definitely still on the bone, but it pulls away nicely, leaving little if no meat on the bone. Now, that's what I, a mere plebe, refer to as falling off the bone.

In the larger picture, for us non-contestant cooks and eaters, the taste and the tenderness are what counts. And lack of tenderness always coincides with meat that has to be ripped or cut from the bone, indicating far too short a cooking time.

In the end, I think I'm happy to stick to "ribs that taste good", for this discussion, not ribs that can past pro-judging muster.

If the meat is extremely tender chances are that the chef did not boil, or pressure cook it, but rather used what is called a "Texas Crutch". This is a tightly sealed wrap of heavy duty tin foil. Meat that is slow cooked and smoked cold for many hours develops what is called a "pellicule", a sort of sticky coating which is full of flavor and keeps the moisture in. To steam it will tenderize the internal meat, but it destroys the pellicule. Some people are quite vocal about the use of the Texas Crutch, although it is often used, for very short times, even in competition. It is almost an insult to accuse another contestant of using "The Crutch" - not that these events are ever full of internal politics, back biting and gossip. That would be against human nature.

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/how-to/a9437/bbq-ribs-tin-foil-021711/

Archived