Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's ribs

dcstroker

Didn't want to highjack another thread so thought I'd start another one. I got some BBQ ribs from Tony's a couple of days ago to take home. Very disappointed! We've always enjoyed their ribs but these were lacking in meat and what was there was tough. Any place else one can go for take home BBQ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Previously, el Huerto Cafe (in Riberas) was doing a rib special once a month. Now they are trying twice a month on Saturdays. There is an ad in this week's Guadalajara Reporter. They serve a full rack of ribs with one side. We get ours to go. They are not "the best", but fairly good.

I mentioned this on the other thread. Adelito's ribs are bland. If you like bland, then it's your place. (And my husband doesn't like spices at all, so he like Adelito's) They are tender and fall off the bone, but I like something with a little flavor. Tony's were better, but I'm still in search of a very flavorful rib. I've not tried Bruno's, but have heard Arileo's are wonderful. So my next stop will be there. I think it all depends on how you like your ribs flavored.

I think the ribs offered at Arileo are braised, beef, short-ribs, which can be absolutely delicious, but are very different than the "BBQ" pork ribs the other places are supposedly serving, as noted by ComputerGuy. For me, the first thing that has to be involved with BBQ ribs is a BBQ….and not many of the places mentioned so far use one. Bruno's, yes. Tony's…..do they even do it on weekends when they have it out? Anywhere else? Not that I know of, anyway.

Note that Arileo's ribs are not your standard fare: they are akin to the flavour my Mom would get in a pressure-cooker roast when I was a sprout. These are not BBQ. I love them that way, every so often.

Note: NONE of the ribs here are truly BBQ, just ribs coated in BBQ sauce. No 12hr smoking. Bubba's used to attempt this, but not very successfully.

Huerto Cafe does 'em on an open flame BBQ grille, fer realz. As far as I know, Tony's does 'em on a open flame on their steak grille. However, if you're referring to the 6- to 8-hour method of slow grilling, you would probably be right.

I think the ribs offered at Arileo are braised, beef, short-ribs, which can be absolutely delicious, but are very different than the "BBQ" pork ribs the other places are supposedly serving, as noted by ComputerGuy. For me, the first thing that has to be involved with BBQ ribs is a BBQ….and not many of the places mentioned so far use one. Bruno's, yes. Tony's…..do they even do it on weekends when they have it out? Anywhere else? Not that I know of, anyway.

I have no opinion on taste or method, but I have seen the barbeque out in front of Tony's on weekends, smoking away.

On Sundays, that would be for Tony's grilled lamb only, which is fantastically delicious if you eat it hot right there. If you get it to go, by the time you're ready to eat it, not so much.

And braising involves cooking in liquid (water, caldo, wine) in a pot, so it's quite different than BBQing.

I believe that Tony's ribs are boiled first then BBQed

Try the ribs at Rey Taco in Chapala

Four of us had ribs at Adelita's last week and the consensus was "boiled to mush", but one person's mush is another person's tender.

Bruno's gets the preference nod in my family until you get to Guadalajara where they have a couple of places that actually smoke the meat in a smoker oven.

One is just a couple of blocks away from the US Consulate.

Four of us had ribs at Adelita's last week and the consensus was "boiled to mush", but one person's mush is another person's tender.

Bruno's gets the preference nod in my family until you get to Guadalajara where they have a couple of places that actually smoke the meat in a smoker oven.

One is just a couple of blocks away from the US Consulate.

slainte39 Can you provide any additional info about the places in Guad that use a smoker? We lived in Kansas City for 25 years, and I would kill for some genuine, slow-smoked ribs or brisket. I thought that with so many former Texans living down here that it wouldn't be so dang hard to find real "Q" here. :-/

Archived