Chapala.com Webboard

New line at immigration for RT/RP at GDL airport

REC

We just returned from the U.S. yesterday (Thursday, August 6th) and there is a new line at immigration in the GDL airport for those of us with RT or RP, There was a fairy large sign - in English - that said if you had RT or RP you should "show your documents to the officer" - or something like that. What wasn't clear - at least to us - was that they actually have a separate "express lane" for RT/RP.

There was a nice young man in the main line checking documents to make sure people had filled out their paperwork correctly. When he saw our immigration cards he quickly directed us to this new line. We were the only ones in that line and were the next ones taken by the immigration officer.

REALLY speeds up the process by not having to wait in the line of people with tourist visas.

Just as an aside they only had one section of the waiting line in service - all foreigners and Mexican nationals were in one line and not in two separate sections as has been the case in the past. Not sure if this is the way it will be done going forward but that was the case yesterday afternoon.

So the new RT/RP express lane was really a great surprise and much appreciated.

INM "may" be no longer requiring RT/RP's to complete the old FMM. I crossed at Columbia last week heading north and went into INM to fill out the FMM and get my passport stamped. The immigration officer stamped my passport and did some keyboard entry into his computer. I asked him for a blank FMM to fill out and he said it wasn't necessary. Anyone else have this happen??

When traveling by air we definitely had to complete the FMM when we left, get it stamped at the airport, turn in one part at the airport gate, and turn in the second part when we returned. Same routine as always at the airport.

We just returned from the U.S. yesterday (Thursday, August 6th) and there is a new line at immigration in the GDL airport for those of us with RT or RP, There was a fairy large sign - in English - that said if you had RT or RP you should "show your documents to the officer" - or something like that. What wasn't clear - at least to us - was that they actually have a separate "express lane" for RT/RP.

There was a nice young man in the main line checking documents to make sure people had filled out their paperwork correctly. When he saw our immigration cards he quickly directed us to this new line. We were the only ones in that line and were the next ones taken by the immigration officer.

REALLY speeds up the process by not having to wait in the line of people with tourist visas.

Just as an aside they only had one section of the waiting line in service - all foreigners and Mexican nationals were in one line and not in two separate sections as has been the case in the past. Not sure if this is the way it will be done going forward but that was the case yesterday afternoon.

So the new RT/RP express lane was really a great surprise and much appreciated.

In the air inbound to GDL as I read this! Thanks.

INM "may" be no longer requiring RT/RP's to complete the old FMM. I crossed at Columbia last week heading north and went into INM to fill out the FMM and get my passport stamped. The immigration officer stamped my passport and did some keyboard entry into his computer. I asked him for a blank FMM to fill out and he said it wasn't necessary. Anyone else have this happen??

Odd...I crossed at Colombia last night and, as always, had to fill out the FMM; the agent stamped my passport and returned the second half of the FMM for my return.

Better to get your FMM filled out and stamped before you get to check in. If you check in without it, depending on the airline you might have to return to check in with the stamped form to get your boarding pass.

At the migracion counter I always ask for 2 more forms than I need. That way I I can have one filed out before I leave for the airport on my next trip. Saves writing against a wall or post. Also is you return by plane you will get one from the airline, save it for later as well.

Funny note.. once checking out at Laredo I approached the window, and the agent was amazed that I had a form filled out without him handing it to me. He couldn't believe that in Mexico, and GDL they hand them out like tissue paper.

So getting back on topic... Has anyone returning to Guadalajara airport seen or have been able to use this "new line" that the OP mentioned?

So getting back on topic... Has anyone returning to Guadalajara airport seen or have been able to use this "new line" that the OP mentioned?[/quote

]Yes, on the day of the OP we flew DL from SLC and were assigned gate3 ( jetway). First off the plane, first in the new line, were processed in about 30 seconds. But, you guessed it we got the red light. No big deal as we only had carry ons.

If I were a Mexican national I might be pissed at this special treatment for foreigners. But then again, I can be very petty.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info 5Jacks. Do they have good signage up showing where the RT/RP line is? or did you have to search for it ...

The signage was very clear and obvious. As for picking the shortest line, there was no line in this new lane.

Yes, that happened to us last Thursday morning.

Irish Gal,

Interesting. Yet when I crossed back in last week at Pharr/Reynosa, the INM officer scolded me for not having the return portion of the form. I explained that Columbia said it was no longer needed and he did the "roll eyes" thing and said they didn't know what they are doing. But he wouldn't let me complete one then and there and just waived me on. Wouldn't even stamp my passport.

I came in through the new line at immigration at the GDL airport on Sunday evening. I had a newly filled out FMM. The guy asked me for the other half of the form I'd filled in on the way out of the airport two weeks earlier. I've never been asked for that before, and didn't have it.

Did the INM officer take the correct half of your new FMM that you filled out correctly? Did you have your passport stamped out of Mexico when flying out? Did the INM officer stamp your passport back in?

AlanMexicali - yes, yes, and yes.

That is exactly what I thought would happen. I guess from now on we Residente Permanentes [and Residente Temporales] will be checking out when leaving Mexico and checking in when returning whether by land or air and keep the other 1/2 of the FMM in our passport.

I don´t see any other way to be safe anymore. I have been asked for just over 2 years now at the TJ and Mexicali airports when entering the baggage claim áreas to show the INM officer my RT and then my RP card without fail on national flights.

When flying into Guad from the US the airline provides you with an FMM card...As an RP we fill in the FMM properly and present it, as well as our RP card and US passport to the INM agent..he looks over the docs, scans our passports and stamps and typically keeps the FMM card.. When we depart by air we go to the INM window and receive a new FMM fill out the bottom portion give it to the INM agent who stamps it and hands all the stuff back..We then proceed to the airline check-in where they take the bottom portion of the FMM and attach it to our boarding pass and return the top portion....We have never used the unused top portion on our returns as some on this site state that you must use..Over more than 2 years and 2-4 round trips/year never an issue...YMMV when driving in and out of the country.????

Archived