Chapala.com Webboard

Real reason Chillin' Cafe was closed

Just Chillin'

I am always disappointed when business people take their disputes public, presenting one (biased) side of a disagreement. When that includes calling hard-working community volunteers names like "liar" it is even more unfortunate. I agree with Gringal's take on what likely happened. Cultural differences often get in the way of even the best-intentioned people. Coming onto a public forum to disrespect and insult members of the community is not the best way to present your case.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it was the only way to respond to what was printed in the LCS bulletin (monthly letter? or whatever it's called?).

What was printed was brought to the attention of Just Chillin' by members of LCS who wanted to know what happened.

If it hadn't been printed, this response would not have been necessary. Pot, kettle, black.

I am not even a member of LCS so I am speaking as a community member. I do not want to be in the middle of a public squabble nor do I want to hear volunteers called names by a business person. Perhaps the Just Chillin "kids" might in the future run a planned response past someone with some public relations savvy. Whoever wrote the OP clearly has none.

I am one person but I doubt I am the only one who read the OP with some discomfort. Often the best response is no response, just continue on being the great business you are. Even when a response is necessary, insulting members of your community is neither necessary nor productive.

But it was the only way to respond to what was printed in the LCS bulletin (monthly letter? or whatever it's called?). What was printed was brought to the attention of Just Chillin' by members of LCS who wanted to know what happened. If it hadn't been printed, this response would not have been necessary. Pot, kettle, black.

Ah, so that's what prompted this. I see the June issue online, but not the July.

Chillin' Cafe at LCS was not closed because we were not able to handle it.

The reason was because the Director was VERY DISRESPECTFUL to us. We are not hypocrite neither liars. It is a shame that the President os LCS handles things with a lie. Because if that's the way they do, we cannot imagine how important things are been manage.

This is from the August LCS newsletter:

"We wish Just Chillin’ luck and success. To provide the highest quality service at their restaurant, they asked to terminate the contract at the LCS café because running both places was just too much to handle. We thank them for the smiles they gave our members for the time they were here."

I think the Chillin' kids were insulted by the suggestion that they could not handle the work. I understand that and I would have been too. I do think the newsletter was trying to be tactful, not dismissive.

Yep. A little like high school: people form cliques, take a few classes and do a lot of gossiping.

Since the closing of the cafetita was so abrupt, LCS must have felt they needed to say something in explanation. A detailed account was not going to happen and we aren't going to learn anything new in this thread, either. :ph34r:

Back in the early 90's LCS had relevance, had a real purpose helping people in the community, lots of volunteers, great place to get information, a nice place to stop by for coffee and conversation. Then something happened a new group of people came in and the power struggles began. Since that time there is nothing but cliques running the day to day operations I know most of them would not agree, but 85% of the non members people living here would tell you they would not have anything t do with LCS and the cliques that run it. LCS is nothing like the original people planned for it to be. I was sorry to see this happen, but you can not stop progress???

We have now heard what Just Chillin has to say about LCS. We have read what LCS wrote in their newsletter about Just Chillin. We have heard how the people who volunteer at LCS feel. We have heard from Team Chillin and now the usual LCS bashers are chiming in. I think everything useful that can be said has been said. What will likely follow now is the usual ragging about LCS. Adios.

Both sides made mistakes. Sorry if you folks refuse to understand this. If you think that Just Chillin and LCS are giving you all the facts you are in error.

How many times does "We don't know" need to be repeated?

By saying "both sides made mistakes", you are suggesting that you have inside information from both sides. Do you, or are you guessing, too? :unsure: I honestly doubt that anyone is telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...and unless you were standing there when the disagreement happened.......it's another case of "he said, she said". Neither side is going to tell anyone else an unbiased version. Human nature.

The Chillin people said they were disrespected by the director who is a paid person not a volunteer. I am not surprized by what they said in their op. They are Mexicans and most of the time an insult is more important to them than doing"business". Good on them for not putting money first. I hope they will continue to be happy in what they do in their main venue, which they do very well.

The Chillin people said they were disrespected by the director who is a paid person not a volunteer. I am not surprized by what they said in their op. They are Mexicans and most of the time an insult is more important to them than doing"business". Good on them for not putting money first. I hope they will continue to be happy in what they do in their main venue, which they do very well.

Excuse me but when Mexicans use the expression "they(gringos) were disrespectful" it means they (Mexicans) lost the discussion and or argument.Maybe it is time for youngsters to be a bit more respectful to adults.

Excuse me but when Mexicans use the expression "they(gringos) were disrespectful" it means they (Mexicans) lost the discussion and or argument.Maybe it is time for youngsters to be a bit more respectful to adults.

Ey ey ey take it easy. This is nothing between Mexicans and "gringos" don't try to polarize it. We gave our version, if you believe it or not it's up to you.

Don't try to generalized it with Mexicans vs "gringos" because first don't forget that you live in Mexico and Mexican people receive you with open arms.

In Mexico we have the culture that family is the most important thing, so the main leader is the adult. Meaning that they deserve respect and that is something that we have learned since we were little.

There are ways of handling things and speaking to others in the NOB culture that would be totally unacceptable in the Mexican culture. It's entirely possible that it was that kind of misunderstanding. I do know that financial considerations are not at the top of the list in Mexican culture and that "respect" is extremely important.

That's the quote I was trying post.

Archived