Chapala.com Webboard

Meeting with Chapala Presidente

HarryB

Thursday the 6th a group led by Tom Thompson met with the presidente of Chapala. The main issue was the western portion of the malecon park. The objective was to get public park status for the area so those vandalizing International Garden and the trees could be fined.

The pier restaurant was also discussed. Mexican representatives vehemently objected to the existence of the building being on federal land. The presidente advised that objections need to go to Conagua which has authority over federal lands. He said Chapala has issued a stop work order until a permit from Conagua is presented to obras publicas. he said such permits are not done. Breaking the yellow tape would be a serious offense. he also said that a restaurant licence would be needed and that the structure was nonconforming so a licence would not be issued. Lastly, he said that the group would have to represent their objections in october to the new administration..

Permits are required for major renovations, LCScats. Many feel what is being proposed there is totally inappropriate for the waterfront and is more like Centro Laguna, strip mall modern.

Not much an outgoing Presidente can do about that situation I would think. Sounds like he said that.

What is the incoming Presidente's view on this? Have you all met with him yet?

The pier as it sits is not only an eyesore but a hazard. A renovation is welcome and needed.

Since the topic of trees and plantings on the malecon is mentioned here I do not understand why people want to plant misc. trees, and unwanted items from the gardens of others down there. IMO it was fine when it was just grass and palms, lots of room for kids to play and families to get together and a clear view of the lake from all angles. Some of those trees will undoubtedly grow to eventually obscure all view of the lake. Plus there is no manpower to maintain and no planning at all to the plantings. It looks like a mish mash.

I apologize in advance if I offended whomever did all this work, but I think your energies could be put to better use on another project. The malecon was more beautiful and enjoyable before this.

Many would like to see some shade at that end of the malecon. The planting isn't haphazard. It has been supervised by degreed horticulturists.

The objections of the Mexicans are to the existence of the building at all. it has been a matter of conflict between the community and the lease holder since it was first built.

A huge crime was committed when they cut down most of the shade trees in that park after the flood. I would like them back. I'd also like to rid the malecon of those spindly, hopeless, sickly-looking palms that line the walkway.

Are we all talking about the same malecon?

I walked down it today and took some pictures. There are many many shade trees. If I could post a pic here I would.

I also took a pic of the hideous mish mash of stuff planted around the side of the amphitheatre. It is just an eyesore of mismatched plantings. I find it hard to believe that a degreed horticulturalist planted that mess.

I guess its the same story as always....we come here and think we know better than the people who actually have lived here for years, we think OUR idea of what is good or attractive should prevail.

We are talking about the area west of Rincon Don Gustavo. Of course you assume the mexican community hasn't been involved. While it may support your argument, what is your basis for such a claim?

Are we all talking about the same malecon?

I walked down it today and took some pictures. There are many many shade trees. If I could post a pic here I would.

I also took a pic of the hideous mish mash of stuff planted around the side of the amphitheatre. It is just an eyesore of mismatched plantings. I find it hard to believe that a degreed horticulturalist planted that mess.

I guess its the same story as always....we come here and think we know better than the people who actually have lived here for years, we think OUR idea of what is good or attractive should prevail.

The area of the park you see all the trees was actually thinned out considerably. However, the area where the trees now stop on the west side, and where all the concrete went in... including the concrete walkway... was covered with lovely, old and gigantic shade trees, and went on for quite a distance. It would have been very easy to put in the rarely-used "bandshell" and other concrete amenities while maintaing the landscaping. They chose to raze it.

So your point about "thinking we know better" is ill-aimed, and I'd have to say a red herring. It was already better. Further, the fact that somebody, anybody, is trying to bring back some flora is a welcome concept in my mind, regardless of what it may look like at the moment.

Archived