Chapala.com Webboard

Mail From US

Has anyone recently received a piece of First Class mail from the U.S. to either their house at Lakeside, or to the Ajijic Post office recently? If so how long was it in transit?

I am asking because I have been waiting for a PIN number for my 'new' Visa Credit Card for 3 weeks.

Wells Fargo supposedly mailed it on July 16th. I hate to call and start the process over again if there is a chance it might still come.

Letters from Social Security take about 4 to 6 weeks to get to my house.

The bank sent a new card to me this month and I told them to cancel it until I can give them a new Laredo address.

It might take 2 months to have it delivered to your house.

OR.... it might take 6 months or more...... as recently happend to an American friend as well as to us (Canadian sourced mail) -- door to door, and to another Canaidan who gets mail at Ajijic P.O.

That's why you want to share a mailbox at iShop or something similar-- so IMPORTANT mail comes when it should, and acutally comes!

Patience. It can take months. The mail is usually held up outside of our area so there is nothing we can do to speed it up.

Books I ordered from Better World Books in the U.S. took six weeks. Two months ago, an envelope sent from Alabama took five weeks to get here.

My mail from Canada takes four to six weeks. Registered mail from Canada takes three to four weeks... All came to my house. DHL envelope from Mexico City took six days.

Handymail is in the plaza next to super lake. They do not deliver. They have mail delivered here from an address that they give you in Laredo. I have used them for 9 years, and never have been unhappy. They send you an email when mail arrives with a list of boxes that have mail. No packages, but magazines, and regular mail is very quick. Many times it arrives in your box 3 times a week from USA. Also you can use their address here for deliveries of Estafeta, DHL, UPS, ETC. They will hold the package for you.

I have reliably received mail here through the Mexican postal service to my home in Ajijic and to my P.O. Box for over 11 years. I haven't felt a need for a third party postal service nor the added expense of same.

How is it that a mail service is any better than regular mail? Do they have their own delivery people?

I don't use such but I think mail sent from NOB goes to an address in Texas from where it is sent by courier to various mail service companies in Ajijic where you can pick up your mail. So they avoid the Mexican postal system.

That's correct. In total, takes about a week. If one needs to get mail reliably and fast, this works.

Mail service reviews are rather like restaurant reviews. Ten people report bad reviews and one claims the place is wonderful, you draw your own conclusions.

We've had friends in the U.K. attempt to mail direct to us. Took months and several never arrived. When they sent to Handymail, less than two weeks and always got here.

Any mail I want sent to me here I get my friend, who takes care of my commercial PO box in SD, and he sends it register mail for about $18.00 US and it gets here in 3 or 4 days. When he sent 2 letters regular mail last year both did not arrive and years ago he sent 1 regular mail and it arrived in about 4 weeks. My bank will send cards to my PO box and they recieve FEDEX Etc. for their clients and leave a notice in my box and hand it over to my friend, who I have registered with them to use, when he gives them the notice and retrieves my mail from my PO box every week and phones me to describes what he has for me. I won´t be sending any mail regular mail from the US anymore.

Does HandyMail permit shared mailboxes? Ie: two or more persons with different last names sharing one box?

If you get a few letters a year, then ask for their Will Call address. You will be charged per letter. I think it was $20 pesos a few years ago at Mail Box Etc. Even if it is $40 pesos a letter now, that is cheaper than paying for a box you don't use.

Joco, this is excellent and I had no idea. Thank you. Is this only at Ishop (formerly Mail Boxes Etc, I think) or also at Handy Mail? What about if you want to receive a rare package? Same deal? You just pay a fee? I only get maybe six pieces of mail a year and can't justify spending $26 a month yet still need a US mailing address.

Archived