Chapala.com Webboard

Such confusion over driving licence and validity

Last week, I had asked if I needed a Mexican driver's license to drive our recently purchased Mexican car and I was assured by several people that I do not. But now, I am finding out that to drive our Mexican vehicle in the U.S., we do need a Mexican driver's license; I am not sure about Canada where we will be heading for a visit soon. Can anyone clarify and in the event that we do have to obtain Mexican licenses, where in either Jocotepec, or Chapala would we go to obtain a license?

Here is some info that seems pretty clear on licensing requirements in the US. You could use it as a base and then research to make sure that it's current. http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content42872.aspx

I googled this. You could do the same for Canada. Forum advice is great as a start, but on legal issues, then I'd check myself also.

There is reciprocity in almost all countries. No need to change a current license. If that were true, tourism would crash and car rental agencies would not rent to foreign tourists anywhere.

One must apply logic to all rumors or hearsay. Then, if you still doubt, check the laws.

Thanks all; there seems to be a hundred percent consensus which works for my partner, who still has a valid Canadian driver's license. I just looked at mine and it expired six days ago; wouldn't you know it? I could take my chances and renew when I get home next month, or, go for the Mexican license; it would not kill me to do so but where would I go for that and how would I study for the written test?

The written test is on a computer along with the eye test. You can bring translation help (test help) and here the Transito officer would help. Pretty much common sense if you know some Spanish and left/right. Here no driving test but hear there is in Chapala

Have a couple references and know your blood type

The problem seems to me to be that a law may be found in more than say, The Highway Traffic Act. The HTA is, in El Norte, a State or Provincial law. Most often your drivers license must reflect your address and you nave 30 days to notify of the change. That is obviously another charge separate from whether or not the DL is valid. So if you are driving a Mexican plated car with a US driver's license you raise a red flag to many a police officer and are bound to be inconvenienced in the US. Why take the chance? Get a Mexican DL. No big deal.

El Cartero:

There is no problem driving a Mexican plated car in the USA with a USA driving license. Reciprocity applies and most US cops may not like it, but they know it is the case. If you have a Mexican visa, that would probably quiet a confused cop. Many people have homes and cars in more than one country.

RV, you're missing the point. It has to do with failure to notify of address change NOT the legality of driving a MX car with a US license. So depending on the circumstances one could find themselves in deep do do driving with a US license when they don't live at that residence. Do you not think a police officer would have his suspicion aroused and suspecta the driver is falsifying information given the tags on the car being out of the state in which the driver, by virtue of the fact a US license has an address in the respective state? There are a bunch of charges which are side bars to the issue which no one is debating isn't legal. Just suggesting not to miss the forest because of a single tree!

A friend told me recently that the car rental companies in the U.S.no longer will rent to anyone without a US license or an international license. Does anyone have personal experience to this effect?

I rented with only Jalisco license in June this year - no problem --

I just crossed the border from US into Canada driving my Jalisco plated vehicle. I have a Canadian Passport and both valid Ontario and Jalisco driver's licences (with valid addresses). The border agent at Canada Customs advised me to carry my Residente Temporal while in Canada in case I get stopped by the Police. No mention of the driver's licence at all but in thinking about it, should probably carry and present the Jalisco licence if asked. I was also told that the Jalisco plated vehicle can be in Ontario no longer than 6 months.

Don't need to worry about paying for any parking tickets, etc. this way (LOL)!!!

I am still trying to find out where in Joco I would go to do the driving test. As I mentioned, my Ontario license expired o the first of August so at the moment I have no current driver's license so must get a Mexican license. Can anyone give me directions?

I have not heard of it being available in Jocotopec. You may have to go to Guadalajara. Check with Spencer at Chapala Law, as his office can advise you if they are taking a group for new licenses, or just for renewals.

Archived