Chapala.com Webboard

Windows 10: should I or shouldn't I?

ComputerGuy

I've been testing the Preview version of Windows 10 for months now, on my laptop. I'm glad I don't use my laptop for serious work, as it's been the slowest, buggiest, crashiest Windows ever. When I heard of the July 29 release date, I thought "Wow, they must be planning to do a LOT of work by then". Now that it's been downloaded to my machine, I can say that I don't think that work ever got done.

If you use Windows 7, I would wait until the tech community starts buzzing about the next great Service Pack, or whatever Microsoft plans to call it, before thinking of installing it. Windows 10's promised "return to normal" after Windows 8 is, to me, just a confusing mishmosh. If you really enjoy fiddling with every new release of Windows, then you are at a level of knowledge different than most people I know, and you can go for it.

For those interested, there's a really really good description of what to expect right now with Windows 10.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/windows-10-good-but-is-it-good-enough/

EDIT: I see that MS has already released a large update patch to correct some of the bugs in the July 29 release: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

I waited for the auto update that I reserved and rcvd it last Monday. I've had good luck with it so far. Some techs said I would have probs with Firefox or Chrome but I put each in it's own tile and with one click they appear. Also I'm able to put each in the task bar when I was told I couldn't just like I had in Win7. I had to update a few things which is natural but it was easy. All my apps reappeared, it is faster and I'm having a virtual flirt with Cortana. Somebody said that the Control Panel will not be part of the update but it is there exactly like it was in Win7 if you know where to look. I will let you know if I run into probs but have only good things to say so far.

I'm following this post with great interest-- I've been quite happy for 5 years with Win7 (on my Fujitsu 64-bit laptop, which does not have a touch-screen). I received Microsoft's offer for a free version of Windows 10 but I'm leery of installing it for fear of trading a stable workhorse for a buggy new system that may or may not be appropriate for my hardware. I appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Little bits of information are trickling out. For instance, you have 30 days after installing to revert to your previous system, but that's it, after that Win10 owns your PC. It will automatically install updates, you have no choice, this is the ongoing OS from MS from here on out and if it breaks other applications, drivers for attached devices etc? - too bad, not their problem.

Now, you have to ask why MS would basically give this away with no future revenue stream as in the past? - well, no one knows yet, but a "hint" may be in the new Solitaire for Win10. First it's no longer free and it contains advertising - you don't want ads? - well, you can pay monthly to have them eliminated (can you say recurring revenue?). To do some speculation and only that, what if in 6 months ads show up on basically everything you boot up? - well, you can grit your teeth, or pay to have them removed - monthly, so there may be some interesting things coming down the stream. I'm still running some XP, Win7 and very happy, so it will be 11 months before I even consider pushing the button.

Just came across another little indication of the attitude MS is taking with Win10. If you have Firefox or Chrome set as your default browser, Win10 ignores that and inserts Edge so you will have a "cohesive" experience? http://www.geek.com/microsoft/microsoft-angers-mozilla-with-windows-10-settings-tweak-1629778/

I'm still running some XP

Just remember, XP has been retired with no security fixes being released. Win 7 End of Life is not until 2020. I would never recommend anyone running a Win XP machine to do anything besides playing games, as the security risks far out weigh any benefit.

I'm a Microsoft Certified Professional.

Interesting comment. Most people I know that are running XP don't ever have security issues, because no one is focusing on that OS anymore. It can't even use any of the recent versions of IE, and as a result Flash loopholes just don't seem to bother that old version any more.

Security exploits are more common in antiquated operating systems and does not necessarily come through third party software. Just as Adobe is constantly updating their Flash software to counter act these threats, what happens when Microsoft has retired the software, and therefore won't push out upgrades to counter act new threats since retirement?

I guess I would use the US standard, you can't be HIPAA compliant running Windows XP.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Meantime, back to Windows 10. I'm happy to answer questions anyone might have about how to use it. And I can say I won't be installing it on any business-critical PCs in my office, until I hear from the WWW hands-on community that the tides have turned in its favour. (PS: Are you referring to HIPAA?)

Does that also mean you won't be installing anymore illegal copies of Windows 7 Ultimate as well?

I would be also happy to provide my expertise of using Windows 10 since the beginning of the year and taking part of providing Microsoft with my experiences, bug reports and wish list, to help make sure Windows 10 doesn't go down the same road as 8 & 9 (8.1).

As far as other questions were raised...Windows 10 has a similar price point as previous versions....$99 for the home edition, $139 for the professional edition.

If you have made the decision to upgrade and decide that you don't want or like it, downgrading back is possible, similar to customers that went from Windows 7 to 8/8.1. I'm happy to answer your questions about any of these options available to you.

It has never been my policy to jump on any new release of an operating system until it has been proven, however, being an Microsoft Insider and having a voice in this product, I am confident to say that this OS will quickly become the standard that XP & 7 have become.

With Windows 8, Microsoft tried to trick us into getting a hotmail/outlook account during the first boot up of a new installation. They never answered accusations of this directly, but instead said getting an account with them would "improve your experience, enable connection to their cloud services and app store, and provide a seamless experience between devices". Well, yes, as long as you didn't mind being owned in that way, without really knowing where your information was going, how it was being used to beef up their statistics, and getting all kinds of advertising your didn't want.

I used to complain about getting junk in my mailbox at the front day. Wow, how I yearn for those days now.

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. I have one laptop with Win 8 that I hate and might switch over as an offering to the Microsoft gods. But... I use Firefox and really dislike MS's patronizing and monopolistic practices towards Mozilla. So I'll stick with Win 7 the desk top. Please keep us up to date as the next year progresses, Computer Guy.

I've got 2 still on XP, 1 on Vista and 2 on Win7 - XP is still the best OS they ever built as proven by the business community in general refusing to upgrade and in some cases paying millions for continued XP support. So, XP can be made as "safe" as the rest, it isn't a one size fits all for cell phones etc. but I've always noticed that when companies try to shoehorn everyone into a single whippy spiff solution, ultimately some suffer. I still run the Classic Shell on my Win7 so it looks like a real tool, not like some flashy, flim flam real fool.

........ I've always noticed that when companies try to shoehorn everyone into a single whippy spiff solution, ultimately some suffer. I still run the Classic Shell on my Win7 so it looks like a real tool, not like some flashy, flim flam real fool.

My 'puter got the flim flams and it got 'em bad...

Upgraded to Win8 and lost the best friend I ever had....

To the tune of Ramblin' Boy but you have to work at.

Archived