Chapala.com Webboard

Car in Mexico when applying for Residency

Zeb

All the businesses and friends now use the Smart phone application WhatsApp here now in SLP and consider E-Mails old fashioned.

Well...I am not going to acquire those just to communicate with them.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone please clarify for me the circumstances under which one can keep a foreign plated car here. I know that if you have a FMM, the car must leave the country with you after the 6 months. I know that if you have a permanente, then you cannot keep a foreign plated car. How about if you have a residente temporal. Can you keep your foreign plated car here for the 4 years prior to receiving your permanente.......

Can someone please clarify for me the circumstances under which one can keep a foreign plated car here. I know that if you have a FMM, the car must leave the country with you after the 6 months. I know that if you have a permanente, then you cannot keep a foreign plated car.

How about if you have a residente temporal. Can you keep your foreign plated car here for the 4 years prior to receiving your permanente.......

Zeb is correct about keeping your foreign-plated car here, as long as you keep your residente temporal visa continuously in force, with no breaks.

A few added pointers:

~ You have to notify Aduana in writing every time you renew your residente temporal visa, notifying Aduana of your temporal visa's new expiration, well before the 2 week grace period for your auto's Temporary Import Permit's (TIP's) expiration date. If you notify Aduana too late, the Banjercito computer automatically confiscates your $$ deposit.

~ Some Mexican states (like Baja California and Q. Roo) require that you keep your foreign plated vehicle's registration and plates current, which is a problem if you live in a US or Canadian state/province that requires annual emissions tests, unless you drive back to your home state(?)

Archived