Chapala.com Webboard

Smog test not available til October

Earl

I was there today and talked to Carlos (in Spanish). He says the system is blocked until October. I asked him what would happen if I got stopped. He told me that the police know--it's their system, and they are the ones who blocked it, but he couldn't say that I would not get a fine if stopped. I also found out that cars and trucks are on a different schedule. A truck with a plate number that ends in 7 or 8 goes in October anyway. Cars with a 9 go in October (or I guess anyone who is unable to get theirs in Aug or Sept as well).

Carlos also confirmed that his place was the only place Lakeside that does the test. I asked him why it was blocked, but he pretty much shrugged his shoulders and muttered a word or two that I didn't catch, and he needed to get on with his work, so I didn't pursue that line of questioning.

I was told today by a well-connected friend that there are only 2 places still authorized Lakeside: The garage in Chapala and the big one in Jocotepec (sorry I don't know the names). All the other places, including Escalera, have been dropped from the program. Further, the program was never shut down, just bad people cut out. Can anyone else verify this, please?

I assume that the closed one is in Chapala. I'm getting ready to do mine in Jocotepec. Hopefully they are still open.

So let's see. The program is basically defunct, most of the testing stations are closed, and our local transitos have now made enforcement of it a priority.

And this will somehow "protect" the environment instead of just being a clever way to get people pulled over on a pretext and see what other revenue opportunities might present themselves.

OK. :D

I got my emission sticker at the Chapala location on Zaragosa this morning at 11:00 am. There was a guy ahead of me and one waiting after me so they are still open for business.

Whether or not the program is defunct is immaterial. It is a legal requirement. Pay up now for the test or pay later for the ticket your choice,.

I agree. Just don't naively think this has anything other to do than taking money from the public.

We keep our sticker current on a late model car even though every study on the value of testing near new cars has shown it is a waste of time and money.

I woke up today, and all the belching buses, and all the giant trucks with poorly maintained engines, had been pulled over by transitos, and all were given stiff fines. Oh, wait, I didn't wake up. Oh, wait, I did wake up and it was only the cars that were being stopped...

While I was driving through La Floresta today, there was a fellow passing out business cards for the emissions test station on Zaragosa in Chapala. Seems unlikely they'd be doing that if the system was out of service for the next few months.

Does anyone know the cross street for the testing station on Vicente Guerreo in Jocotepec? The numbers don't make sense sometimes.

I agree. Just don't naively think this has anything other to do than taking money from the public.

We keep our sticker current on a late model car even though every study on the value of testing near new cars has shown it is a waste of time and money.

Actually, I agree with all your posts above about the value of this program. It really is just another tax. It has no impact on the environment especially when, as Computer Guy notes, they do nothing about the buses or the trucks. And if they were really serious about the problem, they'd institute some kind of program to get all the very old polluting vehicles off the road.

Does anyone know the cross street for the testing station on Vicente Guerreo in Jocotepec? The numbers don't make sense sometimes.

Cedros,

Go west on Vicente Guerrero.

Pass the last traffic light (Independencia Sur).

About a block length more & there is a tope.

Immediately after the tope on your right is the place to get your emissions sticker.

It is next door to a car wash and if you pass it, the next cross street is Niños Heroes.

The mechanic/owner there is Chava Zambrano and does excellent work at very reasonable prices. Also, it is located directly across the street from Pepe's Pollo.

I got my emissions sticker last Friday in Jocotepec!

Cedros,

Immediately after the tope on your right is the place to get your emissions sticker.

It is next door to a car wash and if you pass it, the next cross street is Niños Heroes.

The mechanic/owner there is Chava Zambrano and does excellent work at very reasonable prices. Also, it is located directly across the street from Pepe's Pollo.

Cedros,

is Vincente Guerrero the street you come into Joco heading West?

The main street coming into Jocotepec from Ajijic is Miguel Arana. Turn left at the first traffic light (Gonzalez Ortega).

Proceed 3 blocks and turn right (Cuba's Restaurant is on the right-hand corner).

You are now on Vicente Guerrero. If you continue straight past the emission sticker place, you will eventually come to Highway 15 (Guadalajara highway).

Another option to get to Vicente Guerrero from Ajijic is to continue straight on Miguel Arana until you HAVE to turn left (at the Plaza).

By turning left, you are on Hidalgo. Continue 3 blocks to a traffic light and you will turn right and will then be on Vicente Guerrero.

Less traffic using the 1st option. Buena suerte!

Joyfull: No. Vicente Guerrero is a "main" street that runs parallel to Miguel Arana (the street upon which you enter Joco from the east). To get to Vincente Guerrero, drive on the carretera to the first stoplight in Joco and turn left. Go down three streets to where the road basically dead ends and turn right. (On that corner is Cuba Restaurant.) THAT street is Vicente Guerrero. Then follow the directions above.

Ooops, just saw that Tiapippy posted the same thing! Sorry!

tiapippy: Do I have to make an appointment with the guy at Joco or can I just turn up and what is the charge; I need to know if I should visit an ATM first.

The other thing: can anyone tell me where to get a car detailed in Joco? Does the carwash beside the emission testing place shampoo upholstery and a thorough cleaning?

Archived