Chapala.com Webboard

is there any vegan type place to eat in or around Ajijic

afgh

Most everybody in Mexico eats that way with rice, beans, and tortillas.

It's amazing that the millions of carnicerias in Mexico are still in business.

Vegan is not the same as vegitarian. They eat NO animal related products, no cheese, no lard. Two common ingredients in both beans and tortillas. THe folks who used to have Secret Garden have recently opened a new vegitarian restaurant. I would expect some of their dishes are vegan. I find much of their food too sweet, so I don't know where they are or the new restaurant name but others hopefly will know.

That's a ridiculous statement. Affording is one thing, buying is another.

The amount of res, cerdo, borrego, chivo, pollo, pescado that is consumed in any one day in Jalisco must be staggering.

Try visiting the thousands of pueblos that do not meet your image. Get out and see what they eat and how little of it they get.

45% live in poverty while you sip beer on the plaza.

Jasmine's Classic India on the Ajijic plaza. the menu has a basic vegan dishes and chutneys and is also friendly to vegetarians and meat eaters. our samosas, pakoras, vegan curries are a hit with many of our customers whether they are vegans or not.....

It's important to note that their food is delicious. Great chutneys. And an easy to find location across from the Ajijic Plaza on the south side.

Try visiting the thousands of pueblos that do not meet your image. Get out and see what they eat and how little of it they get.

That's BS, as I have lived and worked here most of my life, and have probably seen and forgotten more pueblos then you can even name.

Sure there is poverty, but 50% or "most everybody in Mexico" are not eating meat y/o are "vegans" is,,,,,,well maybe, you should get out and see......and, I don't sip beer in the plaza.

And one thing more,,,,,yo soy ciudadano Mexicano.

I've visited lots of pueblos/ranchos and lots of barrios pobres and your previous statement that most Mexicans don't eat meat is simply not accurate,I don't think you know what you're talking about.

According to mortality statistics by the National Institute for Statistics and Geography, over 90,000 Mexicans died from starvation or malnutrition between 2001 and 2011. That includes 85,343 deaths between 2001 and 2010 and an additional 7,977 in 2011. It is an epidemic largely unknown to most Americans, although it would explain the massive flood of Mexican families north in search of jobs and opportunity to feed their families.

In an effort to help feed poor families, the Mexican government has distributed ramen packs to rural areas, where it has become popular with families unable to afford even the basic food staples of rice and beans.

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-hunger-starvation-claimed-over-90-000-mexican-lives-since-2001

Hmmm. I thought this thread was about what local restaurants serve vegan meals?

That's what I thought, too. However, somebody grabbed a soap box and derailed the train.

BTW, there's a long article in today's news about poverty in Mexico and how extreme it is, with numbers and studies quoted.........as opposed to guesswork and the nonsense about old people sipping beer on the plaza.

Methinks the crusader might be more effective by working with the Feed the Hungry organization, which distributes donated food to the poorest pueblos. This will require time, energy, a sturdy vehicle and gas. The destinations are usually places where the men are gone to work NOB and there are only women, children and a few very old men. Seeing the level of hardship up close is heartrending.

Wow, speaking conceptually to the black and white thinkers is tough.

Snarky comments are neither clever nor do they assist in civil communication.

I'm sure you would be better understood if you translated your thoughts related to this topic in simple, logic infused, English.

lets drift on over to the subject of the treatment of Guatemalan refugees.

Okay,here you go,"Salimos de Guatemala para entrar a Guatepeor",a common humorous saying among Guatemalan refugees in Mexico.

Archived