Chapala.com Webboard

HAM radio operators

lobos

We used to have a rather active Ham Radio club at the Lake Chapala Society before about year 2000. Then when the cell phone became popular, more and more members left and sadly the club didn't have enough members to support it

KD7ION (expired) Oh and only about half the members registered with the Mexican government in Guadalajara to get the XE1 prefix

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about moving to Ajijic or Lake Chapala. I've tried to find information about expat ham radio operators in the area, but everything I see is old. I can't find anything after 2015. Are there any active hams in the area?

Chuck

KG6PH

Plano, Texas

I remember someone else asking that question less than a year ago on another forum. It would be nice to start another club or group, but I truly wonder if there enough of us around.

I am also a ham and am moving to Lake Chapala. The most recent information I have is from an article in the ARRL December 2016 edition. The article says that right now the authorities in Mexico are in the throws of re-doing their regulations regarding the radio spectrum. Recip op applications for visiting hams and even Mexicans renewing their licenses are not being dealt with at the moment. 

Send me an e-mail at morsemonkey@gmail.com and I will attach further info.

Cheers de Steve vp9hw/ve1nss

I have the only HF station operational in Ajijic. I seldom operate these days because the noise level from the CFE electric lines is 20 over S9. The new LED lighting is making a mess out of the HF ham bands. I gave up trying to get an XE1 license and call sign years ago and as far as I know the IFT (replaced COFETEL) hasn't implemented any new regulations to facilitate foreign license holders to get reciprocal licensing and actual call signs. I hold a FCC Extra Class for 20 years and have been continuously licensed since 1961. Also I hold a V31 license/call sign which is easy get.

QLF and 73

Years ago, I was KD7ION and active lakeside, I accidently let my license expire. In those days (20 years ago) when Telmex charged us for long distance calls even when calling Joco from Ajijic.  We even had our own space and a club ham radio and antenna in the very small structure that was located at the SW corner of the LCS. There were maybe 20 of us in the club. But then came free long distance and cell phones and soon, so many members quit, that the club finally closed shop. I was a beginner, what's call, A no code tech or something like that.  And 20 years ago it wasn't hard to get an XE1 license, but many of us never bothered, because to get one you needed to go to Guadalajara, and we were lazy. I never had a problem, and used my hand held like we now use cell phones.

Maybe 1/3 of the members were true hams and communicated all over the world. Most of us just wanted a hobby and a free way to call our friends lakeside.

Archived