Chapala.com Webboard

Jocotepec bypass closed

cedros

I noticed on Tuesday that the east end of the bypass around Joco was closed with concrete barriers-both lanes. I hear that it is still closed today. Does anyone know what is going on?

Well, they have been starting to repair it after less than three years thanks to seriously shoddy construction when it was built. They may have closed it so they can operate some heavy equipment.

We haven't had any super heavy rains for several weeks and up until several days ago, the rain had tapered off for a week.

My guess is they had to tear up some of the bad construction and that made it impassable.

So does anyone know for sure? They have been repairing parts of it off and on for quite awhile.

So much for going to Costco the Joco way for a while!

Go past the cutoff to the bypass straight into Jocotepec. Look for the signs directing you to turn left for Guadalajara. Turn left. Look for the signs directing you to turn right to Guadalajara. Turn right. Go straight ahead until you reach the highway, turn right. You will soon recognize you are on the same highway you normally use to Guadalajara. Reverse these directions on your return.

Bypass entrance off the carretera still closed this Monday afternoon and really no way to get through from this end. For a change, they have actual barriers up, not just big rocks that you can get through. Haven't been out on Highway 15 to see if the ramps from there onto the bypass are closed, but i would hope so since you can't get off on this end!

• 1 month later...

Archived