Chapala.com Webboard

Yesterday, I got my first LPG gas fill-up in several months. We have a 300 liter tank and had just over 20 percent remaining. The truck, which was from one of the smaller companies, filled the tank to 90 percent (vs what I thought was the normal 85%) then presented me the bill which showed they were charging me for 288 liters. I protested but was told that the rating of the tank was measured in liters of water, but that LPG was under pressure and thus more could be put in the tank. I was dubious, but saw no alternative to paying the fee. (Note: I stood behind the truck while they were filling and checked that the gauge of zeroed out at the start. I also noted later that there was no date/time on the printed bill they gave me.) For future reference, was I scammed? (If so I'll be happy to provide the name of the company and driver.)

I protested but was told that the rating of the tank was measured in liters of water, but that LPG was under pressure and thus more could be put in the tank.

Gosh, when I was in school they taught us that liquids can not be compressed. Guess that Mexican can't at least lie with some facts.

You was had.

90% of 300L=270L

22% of 300L=-66L estimated

Appx. to fill = 204L estimated

So, it appears that you were cheated by the cost of approximately 84L which could not fit into your 300L tank: maybe a nice round $500 peso bite.

What letter does company start with?

Company name starts with V. I had a friend call the company to find out what was going on and the truck came out within a fairly short time. I told them that they had scammed me for around 500 pesos and after a 5-10 minutes of arguing they offered 300 pesos, which I took rather than stand at the door arguing. Later the company got back to my friend and said that according to their calculations the truck owed me 350 pesos - with no clear explanation of how they arrived at that figure or why there was an overcharge in the first place (other than a rather lame excuse that there must have been air in the hose when they started pumping???). In any event, lesson learned: never deal with trolling gas trucks. (This was the second visit of this particular truck in less than a week in Villa Nova.) I have the card of the driver and his assistant, if anyone is interested.I'll PM the info.

Victim of V gas, others have reported them before on the web boards

Thre is an easy way to prevent this. The Zeta Gaz building on the Gaz propety on the Carreterara across from Salvadores is open 5 1/2 days a week.

You can go in there at any time and give her your address and the money you want to spend. If you have a ladder reachable tank which they don't have to bother you with they will go up there, give you your amount and leave the printed dated and complete receipt in your buzon slot. If you want to be there give the lady at the desk a date and time and they are reliable within 30 minutes. These are the fellows who, I have been told, drive the corporate truck and DO NOT work on commission. In over 10 years we have never had a probelm with a single one of their fills.

However, and this is important. We have several properties and we tip decently. At one point we had this office on rotation for $750 pesos every other month. That is in my opinion the best way to do it, or even monthly for $500 pesos. It establishes a regular relationship, which means a lot here. The office help always greets us out and about, as do the drivers, and they know we know who they are and that they are proud of their service.

Picking up anything off the street is always a risk, regardless of the commodity.

We used Zeta Gas in the past, but found that they were becoming less and less reliable in meeting appointments. We'd arrange (negotiate) an appointment for a certain time and often they were two or more hours late and at least once did arrive until the next day. (I recognize they are a very busy and popular company.) Unfortunately, our tank is not reachable from the outside of the house and thus we are "trapped" at home until they arrive. We have used a Los Altos driver more recently and have been very happy. "V" caught me at a weak moment yesterday. Never again.

This has not been our summer for gas trucks. In mid-June our garage was demolished by a truck from another small company that lost it's brakes on a hill above our home. The repairs were just completed the yesterday and are mostly satisfactory. It was occasionally like pulling teeth to get the insurance company contractor to do the work correctly and as scheduled. Through the whole annoying and frustrating process, not a word of apology from the company (S Gas) or the insurance company. Often it seemed like they were doing me a favor, as though it was my garage that was at fault. Guess we're lucky on the whole, I've heard a number of horror stories.

The easiest way to have this not happen is to not contact any gas company, never stop some driver going down the street and absolutely never get gas from anyone who rings your bell.

Please, please, find a driver whom you trust and has integrity, get his cell number and call him directly and even if he changes companies you can still contact him.

Problem solved and as the driver realizes you are a regular customer you will probably receive faster service. Tip the driver at least ten or twenty pesos and he will remember you and be appreciative.

Stop calling the companies. Their prices are all the same and so is the gas. Find a driver and call him directly.

Call Juan. Reliable, comes in timely fashion, and has NEVER cheated us in over 15 years (when we switched to him). Cell phone direct to him 333-971-0630 in his truck.

The receipt should show liters filled. We were always told you should fill when tank is at/near (not below) 20 and ask (for fill) to go to 80. Not more. (Too much pressure on a hot day???)

I have kept track over the years and can tell within parts of liters exactly how mch will be needed each time, and he's never been off base.

Archived