Chapala.com Webboard

Ideas for day trip to Ajijic/Chapala?

olyted

My 70-ish mother is coming for a visit, and I thought a day trip from Guadalajara would be enjoyable. I've been down a couple of times myself, but more for the drive along the lake than anything.

I was thinking a visit to LCS, a boardwalk stroll, browse some shops, and lunch/dinner at a couple of the restaurants I keep reading about here as a start. I don't think she'd enjoy a boat ride to Scorpion Island. I remember reading about horse rentals near the lake, but couldn't find them on a previous trip. Finally, tripadvisor mentions something called " Casacadas de Agua" (Cascadas?), but I can't find any other information about it.

Any suggestions for a multi-generational outing? Thank you.

I'd skip LCS. The horse rental is located along Camino Real, just to the south of the soccer fields in La Floresta. "Cascada de aguas" means waterfall. It is located in the hills above Ajijic but you have to know where the trail head is located in order to get there. Try goggling "hiking trails Ajijic." The go-to restaurant is Ajijic Tango on Colon.

To get to Las Cacascadas de Tepalo (there are three, maybe a fourth) you go straight up EncarnaciĆ³n Rosas to almost the end of it (street at intersection of the carretera where Farmacias Guadalajara is). The trailhead is clearly marked with a sign. Whether or not a 70-year-old would be up for the hike depends on their physical ability/desire. It's not difficult, but can be slippery, especially after rains which is when you would want to go for best waterfall action. On weekends, they often rent horses right on the beach below the malecon in Ajijic also, besides the every day availability in La Floresta on Camino Real. And, you can combine the two by having a guide take you up to the waterfalls on horseback.

She might like to visit an assisted living facility lakeside. It gives some peace of mind when they see what they could expect from the next phase of their lives. Expect to be impressed with the quality of life of the residents at an affordable price.

I'd skip LCS. The horse rental is located along Camino Real, just to the south of the soccer fields in La Floresta. "Cascada de aguas" means waterfall. It is located in the hills above Ajijic but you have to know where the trail head is located in order to get there. Try goggling "hiking trails Ajijic." The go-to restaurant is Ajijic Tango on Colon.

No!! No!! not Tango - so over crowded - overpriced. Try Yves, Cosinarte, Nueva Posada, , Tabarka & so many more good restaurantes

Wait, 70 is pretty young these days. I would say yes, go to the LCS, just to see what the gardens are like and where some of the ex-pats hang out. Most definitely an afternoon stroll along the Chapala malecon to see all the vendors, especially if this is her first time in Mexico. You can end up at one of the restaurants for food and free margaritas/white wine, for example at Cozumel.

I agree, knowing your mom's interests would help. As for restaurants, I also would recommend Yves, or Cocinart, the Peacock Restaurant (would be great for lunch) and others over Tango. Tango is overpriced for dinner and is always very crowded and the food is just average. If she like shopping, walking around Ajijic would be nice. I've not been on the hike to the waterfalls, but have been told that the rocks are slippery this time of year, so you would want to consider that.

Thank you for the suggestions thus far. My mother, like most, is the "whatever you want to do is fine with me" variety. I'm trying to find options to present, not dictate the agenda.

After some sightseeing in Guadalajara, I think she'd enjoy the relative quiet of Ajijic for a day, and I think she'd enjoy the lake from the malecon and the gardens at LCS. Yves, Cosinart, and Joanna's are among the dining options I planned to present - though I hadn't heard of the Peacock and will have to look it up. I think I'll have to save the waterfall, as she's "long walk" active, not "hike" active. Beyond that, I'm just looking for other things I could suggest.

I think she'd hit me if we visited an assisted living facility (her mom's a lively 91), but I'll admit to trying to explore the idea of "could she live here" and Ajijic would be an obvious option.

If you go to LCS you might look for an activity she would enjoy. For instance, Monday is Open Gaming day where people play board games and is open to the public 2-4 PM. I don't know how well attended it is during low season but it's a great way to meet some people and have a chat.

Los Amigos is a group that meets at Nueva Posada on Wednesdays at 6 PM for Happy Hour specials and conversation. It is a very welcoming group, again good for socializing and meeting new people if she likes that kind of thing. This would be a great option if you want her to see this as a place where she could live, as all participants are enthusiastic residents or looking to become residents of the Chapala area. Usually at least one or two groups go to dinner afterwards and are always up for bringing along newbies.

Participants of both these activities typically range from mid-50s to late-80s so she should feel right at home.

For nice informal, inexpensive dining don't forget Perry's Pizza on Guadalupe Victoria between Aldama and Encarnacion Rosas. Some of the most delicious food I've had was at Monte Cristo on the carretera to the west and you should definitely hit the remodeled Adelita's for great ambience and great food. Both are a little pricier but delicious.

Final suggestion, stay at a B&B and make it a two-day trip. More relaxing, you don't have to drive home in the dark, and there's plenty to do. Or maybe book at the Nueva Posada for Wednesday night after Los Amigos. It's more expensive but very pretty and has a great view of the lake!

Archived