Chapala.com Webboard

What to do about Feral Cats

We just purchased a house and discovered that we inherited 6 or 7 feral cats, who as of today are very hungry. We saw one or two as we toured the property, as well as food in the bodega and wrongly assume the seller would take them. He didn't, but did take the food. I checked with the animal shelter. Their 2 traps are currently loaned out; also they mentioned the group that helps nueter and spay feral cats. I was also told not to feed them, and they'll go elsewhere. Personally, I don't mind paying to have them fixed, but first they need to be caught, and then released somewhere, don't they? I love cats, but know from experience NOB that feral cats don't make good pets. Please comment if you have a solution to my problem, or PM me for my number. I would like to resolve this before we move in.

My next door neighbor and I were using those 2 traps until we returned them early last week. If you checked with the shelter before then, you might want to check again now.

We had them neutered. This is about the best ethical solution that you have. And if you don't make an effort to neuter them, those 6 or 7 cats will multiply like rabbits or Tibbles. :-/ So it will take a while to resolve the issue. You could trap them, and then release them somewhere else, but that's just passing the problem along to someone else. Once they're all fixed, they will still live out their lives, which won't be as long as a house cat.

In our case, a former neighbor in our area left about 40 cats behind and the cats were just ushered out the door. :-/

Buena suerte.

Ricknose, by all means try to trap, spay/ neuter (have one ear notched on females so you know who's already done), and release back where they are now.

Why back at your place?

(1) That's their territory. They know where to find safe haven from mean dogs and/or kids, they know where to find water, and they'll help keep rodent population at bay. It would be a very kind thing if you feed them, as they are apparently accustomed to that. But at least they will be on familiar turf.

(2) Cats are highly terrritorial. Release them somewhere else and they will have to fight for space with other cats who no doubt already inhabit THAT area.... visible or not. Also, they will be at great risk because they don't have experience with new surroundings -- same issues. Mean dogs/kids. Safe havens. Water source.

If the shelter traps are still on loan, perhaps you could check with local vets. Ladrons used to lend out traps (can't say now) IF the surgery would be done at their clinic.

And THANK YOU for caring enough to do the right thing!

Well Natasha's post is a way to have yourself a crowd of 6 or 7 cats that you do not want and which no one else can tame as pets because of their feral life. If you live on a street with other houses I don't see where you could reasonably put food for them "nearby". If you live out a bit in the country or with empty lots beside you then you have to maintain a constant food and water source protected for their sustenance. Even with that effort however they will always be coming to your property.

There is only one reliable solution and that is to capture them and have them put down. Not a good solution for these cats. Nobody ever likes to talk about this but at a certain point communities reach a saturation of animals which cannot be sustained regardless of good intentions and superhuman efforts. They can't be simply nuetered taken to a shelter and offered to people as pets. You could drop them off in the country but like she pointed out they will be at risk there. Realistic thinking about animals is always difficult. Natasha seems to think tying yourself to the cats is the RIGHT thing to do. However it isn't really. If you find after settling in at your new home that you would like to have cats as pets there are more than anyone can take care of waiting at the shelters. Sometimes making the HARD choice is the better decision.

Solajijic makes a good point Ricknose does not want the cats and the idea of catching them t and dumping them somewhere else is cruel. There are worse things than death Being attacked by resident cats or dogs in the new place will subject them to a long painful death. Sometimes we have to make very hard decisions in order to do the right thing.

Solajijic, I agree with you and you're a gutsy gal to make that post. I happen to think it also applies to seriously sick and injured dogs.

Thanks all for presenting me with the two suggestions I have been comtemplating. There are, of course, other harsher methods of resolving my problem, but (rest assured) I would never consider such options. I do, however, tend to be inclined toward the last 3 posters, as I (make that we) in no way wish to adopt a colony of feral cats ( fixed or not). The property is completely walled, as most properties down here are, and so putting food and water outside the compound or across the street in the woods I think would (1) not neccesarily lure the cats there, and (2) most certainly not keep them there, as we all know they have become accustomed and dependent to my new property. So, unless someone has a large property, on which they would be willing to accept feral cats (and hope they adjust to it) , I fear I will be forced into the second option discussed above. Thanks again all.

We have a feral female that has her litter on my mirador. If I can find them I take them to be eued. Otherwise she weans them and leaves. They come down into the yard looking for food and it is a battle to keep my dogs from killing them. And no the shelter does not take feral kittens. Yes it is harsh but most often they will have a starving life and not survive past six months. And yes I have tried to trap Mom but got everything but her in the trap.

I have feral cats and dogs that have lived in the bush across the street from me. There are no houses in that area. It is an ongoing saga of life and death. My dogs won't allow the cats in my yard so I don't get involved. The feral dogs often kill the cats. I haven't seen any of the dogs for awhile. They must have moved off or someone has killed them. I feel there is nothing I can do.

Life is often harsh and brutal. Sometimes we can do something to make it better and other times we can not. We do what we can when and where we can, making the lesser of the unacceptable choices offered us when we must.

Got the impression from Ricknose's first post he would not mind if the cats remained in place AFTER S/N. But if that's not the case, then yes, I agree -- better to trap and EU than leave them to their own devices.

And CERTAINLY better than some people's solution (have known a few) which is is to trap and take them to "the mountains" --- where they are sure to meet certain death quickly (by coyote) or more slowly ( by dehydration and exposure, plus lack of food).

Only one comment -- if you remove a feral colony entirely, in all likelihood (unless you take immediate preventive measures on an on-going basis) you are almost certain to have another group move in to to take over the now-vacant territory, since yes -- there are more ferals around than space available. And until more trap/spay-neuter/ release of ferals happens, will always be the case.

A friend learned this when she moved into a house across the street from a large park in a city. Neighbors had been trying for years to destroy the feral cat population. It hadn't worked for the reasons Natasha stated. By working with the feral cat society, my friend helped T/SN/R and the colony stabilized.

Archived