Chapala.com Webboard

US Notary

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to payment of the $50 fee for each US notary seal, the US Consulate's web page for notarial service says the following:

"Each notarial service costs $50 USD. Payment must be made in cash, either U.S. dollars or the Mexican peso equivalent, or with a major credit card. Credit cards will be charged in U.S. dollars. Checks cannot be accepted." [I "assume" that they mean personal checks]

The LCS page regarding the Consulate visits on the 2nd Wednesday (not Monday afgh) of each month says the following:

"Payment must be made with USD$ travelers checks or a USD$ bank check, payable to: "US Disbursing Agent."

The easiest way is to use a bank check obtained from CI Banco, located in the Centro del Lago shopping plaza, across from Walmart."

Two questions.

1. Can you obtain a bank check from CI Bank if you are NOT a CI Bank customer? If so, this would seem to be the easiest, most convenient option. [i "assume" that the Consulate does not have a portable means of accepting US credit cards.]

2. Has anyone recently gone up to the Consulate in Guad and successfully used a US credit card to pay for a notary fee? I'd hate to drive all the way up there and then find out that the website info is out of date. :-/

Gracias in advance

Archived