Chapala.com Webboard

Gringo Teen Gatherings?

My 17 year old son has recently returned from a year long exchange program in Sweden. He'll be coming down here to live with me in September and I'm concerned that he may feel isolated and unhappy until he becomes conversational in Spanish. It would be helpful if he could find other gringo teens to hang out with. Any suggestions?

Depends what the kid is into….if athletically inclined, there's also Pachamama Climbing Center in Ajijic. Great people own it, run it and populate it. They have a Facebook page (link below), and there is enough English available in the environment that he'll be made to feel welcome. Still….the best way to get conversational will be to hang out with people his own age who aren't "monolingual gringo". There are quite a few teens here who are native English speakers, but have integrated. They'll be his best guides, depending upon his interests.

Pachamama Climbing Center Ajijic Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Pachamamaclimbingcenter?fref=nf

My 17 year old son has recently returned from a year long exchange program in Sweden. He'll be coming down here to live with me in September and I'm concerned that he may feel isolated and unhappy until he becomes conversational in Spanish. It would be helpful if he could find other gringo teens to hang out with. Any suggestions?

My 16 year old son just moved down here full time with me and is desperate to meet anyone his age and especially those who speak english. He is just starting to learn spanish.

I assume he's already graduated from high school? Because the bilingual preparatorias like Instituto Internacional would have a nice mix of teens that he could get to know if he's still in school.

Unfortunately, at that age the Instituto Internacional requires college level spanish to attend. I already looked into it for 16 year old (who is entering 11th grade).

Saege007, thank you for your response. I tried to send you a PM but couldn't get that function to work.

My email is erk412002@gmail.com

Regarding school: Although my son attended a Swedish high school and achieved good grades despite his initial language challenges, his stateside high school counselor claims His Swedish school credits aren't transferable and would have him repeat his junior year. Rather than fight that battle with the school, I've given Cody the alternative option of taking a GED in lieu of two more years of high school, and study with private tutors and/or classes to prepare him for college next fall.

Archived