Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone have experience with shipping a vehicle to Canada via a freight service?

I am looking into shipping our Canadian vehicle back to Canada, to sell. We will be traveling back to take care of selling the vehicle ourselves in about September but do not want to drive both the Mexican and the Canadian vehicles in tandem. Has anyone ever shipped a vehicle either by train or some other type of carrier. If so could you tell me who you contacted and how the experience worked out for you?

The other possibility is that we would be willing to sell our van here to a returning Canadian if the timing worked out (September). I understand that we cannot complete such a transaction in Mexico and would have to complete the sale north of the border for various and sundry reasons.

Of course we have considered driving one way and flying back here but this will not work for us as we will be taking our three dogs, one who is too big to fly in cabin and I will not put her in cargo. Also, as friends have suggested, we have contacted Strom-White but have been told that they do not move cars.

When we had to sell our Canadian car a few years, I looked into all kinds of possibilities including shipping it by truck, ship. All were expensive so we ended up driving it to Canada. It's a long drive, but we looked at it as another vacation and a visit with family. We then flew back. Didn't make any money on that car but we had a great vacation!

Gringal: do you know who it was that handled the shipping for your friend?

El Cartero : I have e-mailed classic car guy; thank you for the suggestion.

Irish Gal: We cannot fly, as mentioned above, so we do have to take our Mexican vehicle in order to re-enter the country with three dogs after our vacation. Also, though the van is a 2009, it has extremely low mileage as we have been very reluctant to drive it in the last three years, after we became residente permanente. It only has about thirty five thousand miles on it and according to Canada's Kelly Blue Book, we should be able to re-coup some decent money on it. We will just have to accept the cost of shipping as part of the loss on this vehicle, if we can find someone to ship it. But we are looking forward to the vacation and to seeing friends and family so, in some small way, that makes up for the ever increasing expenses of solving the problem of our foreign plated vehicle!

Eagles100: The van has to go back to Sarnia, Ontario which is right across the border from Port Huron, Michigan. I actually have friends in Port Huron who would accept delivery and then my sister and brother in law will pick it up from there and take it to their home in Sarnia, until I get there and can sell it.

"I understand that we cannot complete such a transaction in Mexico and would have to complete the sale north of the border for various and sundry reasons."

Unless there is something different about it because it is a Canadian car, yes, you actually can complete such a transaction in Mexico IF the buyer commits to taking the car out of Mexico then and there. You would make the transaction, then get a Retorno Seguro (Safe Return) document from SAT to get the (now illegal) car out of Mexico within 5 business days. The new owner's name can be designated in that document as the driver and you don't have to be with it on it's journey to the border. This is done all the time by me and playaboy to get RP foreign plated cars out of Mexico as required.

RickS Interesting. It is our intention to get a Retorno Seguro when we are ready to leave, but it is my understanding that we will still be responsible for the vehicle (in the event of an accident) until we are out of Mexico. This would be a great vehicle for someone who is returning to Canada as it has only seen one winter and, again, very low mileage, but I have not even advertised it as I was thinking that, until we set an absolute date to go home for a visit, I wouldn't be able to let it go unless until I could drive to the border with the new owner.

Another option: Drive the van to Canada and drive your Mexican car to McAllen, TX and put it in a self storage place. Then, rent a car for your return trip, say from Port Huron to McAllen, dropping it there and picking up your Mexican car for the rest of the trip. Expensive, I know, but less than flying with the dogs and you can all travel together in one vehicle both ways, and at leisure.

Yes RV, that is an appealing option and one that we have thought about. I should look into the cost of renting something from Port Huron to Laredo. It is actually about one thousand U.S dollars to ship the van from Laredo to Port Huron which is less then I expected so, in the end, we may do that as it saves on gas, wear and tear on the van and is possibly going to turn out to be the least expensive and most convenient way to get it home to sell. I sure wish that the Canadian dollar could make it's way out of the doldrums!

Another option would be to leave your dogs here; that would free you for more travel options. You can get housesitters from reputable companies to come and stay at your house for free--they get free housing and you get free housesitters. Or hire someone locally for abut 200 pesos a day.

Yo1: I have thought of that too but our oldest dog has had many, many serious health issues and Ladron's, and our Canadian vet, have now snatched her from the brink a few times. Currently, she is well though she has just had an eye removed but is recovering nicely.

We used to breed Wheatens so I was there when she took her first breath and I plan to be there for her last. I would not even be making the trip this year if it were not for the fact that my Mother is not well, and I have not seen her for two years. So apart from the car issue, we have a very important reason to travel home. If my Wheaten was small enough to fly in cabin, I would consider leaving the youngest two home, but alas, Ayelish is the biggest and would have to fly cargo.

We feel a bit like we are between a rock and a hard place just now.

Archived